Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The Best Automatic Litter Box is the Omega Paw Roll’ N Clean Cat Litter Box.
The self-cleaning litter boxes are one of the best inventions for cat owners and kittens alike.
We have a cat and we love him to death, but dealing with his litter box was just a hassle. Taking the time to scoop and deal with it every day was tiresome and not something I looked forward to. That’s when I discovered automatic litter boxes, the best thing ever invented.
Automatic litter boxes are a new way to provide care for your feline without having to worry about it. You can simply set it up and forget about it. The best part? It will save you time every single day by doing all of the work for you!
If you’ve ever used an automatic litter box, you’ll know how convenient they are. They’re self-cleaning, so you don’t have to worry about your pet getting in and out of the box, tracking litter everywhere.
In fact, why not let them try it out themselves? Once set up properly, the cat should be well able to find its way around the box without any help from you.
There are many automatic litter trays on the market, but it can be hard to decide which one is right for you, your cat, and your home.
Are you looking for a good automatic litter box that will help you in keeping your cat clean without you having to lift a finger? Then you’re in the right place!
There are a ton of automatic litter boxes on the market, but they come in all different shapes and sizes.
In this blog post, I’m going to show you four of the best automatic litter boxes on the market to help you with your buying decision.
I’ll also explain how they work and what you should look for when buying one.
Automatic Litter Box Top Picks
If you are pressed for time, here are the top 5 picks of automatic litter boxes that I recommend for your home:
- Omega Paw Roll’ N Clean Cat Litter Box
- ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box
- ScoopFree Original Automatic Cat Litter Box
- Pet Zone EZ Scoop No-Touch Manual Cat Litter Box
- Whisker Litter-Robot WiFi Enabled Automatic Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
The best automatic litter boxes are:
1. Omega Paw Roll’ N Clean Cat Litter Box
This ingenious automatic litter box contains a grill that scoops out the clumped cat litter waste. It then deposits it in the pull-out tray.
To do this, simply roll the self-cleaning litter box onto its top and roll it back to the original upright position.
Eject the litter tray and get rid of the clumped litter waste.
Go ahead and clean the tray before returning it.
- The grill does all the dirty work by scooping out the clumped solid waste into the waste receptacle. This saves you time and the hustle of scooping out litter manually using a litter scoop.
- This self-cleaning litter box doesn’t run on electricity. It won’t break down on you when you need it most during a power shortage. It scoops and scoops 24/7.
- It is fantastic for your fat cat or even a household with multiple cats. It controls odors flawlessly, controls dust, and quickly self-cleans. This model works best with clumping litter of silica gel cat litters.
- The amount of clumping litter you need is astonishingly low compared to that used on a traditional litter box. Additionally, only the clumping litter is scooped and the clean litter remains on the tray.
- The box contains built-in litter steps that trap litter from your cat’s paws as she leaves the box.
- This is hands down the best reliable budget option on the self-cleaning litter boxes spectrum.
- You may have to roll it a couple of times to catch all the clumped litter.
- Depending on the litter type that you are using, some clumps may get stuck and you have to scrape it out with a scoop.
- Not all the clumped litter waste will make it to the exit tray on your first try.
- It is a bulky box and not very impressive looking.
81% of cat owners who have purchased this product recommend this specific product.
2. ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box:
Has an amazing design that enables it to work automatically. Once connected to power, plug in the litter box and it takes over the rest of the work.
The automatic rake system collects waste into the covered hood every 5-20 minutes after your cat leaves the box.
Once you set the timer, it resets if the safety sensors detect that your cat has re-entered the cat box.
It’s equipped with a health counter that allows you to track the number of times your cat has used the self-cleaning litter box. As a result, you can quickly identify possible health issues.
It comes with a privacy hood that ensures the cat litter remains intact. This box comes with one tray of special crystal litter to kick start your journey.
This crystal litter has amazingly 5 times greater odor reduction properties than clay or clumping litter.
- Automatically removes the solid waste: The self-cleaning automatic rake system cleans the entire box within twenty minutes after your cat exits the box. It ensures that she doesn’t get startled. The days of daily manual scooping are over!
- Unbeatable odor control: The system rakes through the litter and accumulates the waste into a covered waste receptacle on one end of the tray. This provides superior odor control.
- No more messy floors: This crystal litter with 5 times greater odor control absorbs urine on contact and dries the solid waste to minimize odor. This scoop-free box stays clean for weeks because of this and a tray can last up to three weeks before you replace it. This is true, especially in a single-cat household.
- Leak protection: You can use disposable litter trays that are easy to clean up. The plastic tray liners prevent leaking which can cause smelly odors in your house.
- Great money saver: This automatic system consumes about 5-10 times less litter than clay and clumping cat litter. Talk of reduced savings! The crystal litters ensure the cat box remains dry and this makes the box less prone to bacterial growth.
- Sizeable cat box that can be used by a big-boned kitty. It works well in a household with multiple cats too.
This automatic self-cleaning cat litter box is best suitable for kittens above 6 months of age.
If your cat has mobility issues due to arthritis, old age, or disability, avoid using this box.
Finally, when introducing your cat to this automatic box, be present to guide your cat through. Ensure that she is fully comfortable using the system.
- The waste container may clog up especially if your cat digs deep enough and piles the litter on the side. This may cause the automatic raking to stop due to obstruction.
- Your cat may be a bit apprehensive at first to use the self-cleaning litter box
- Depending on your cat, the litter doesn’t last as long to allow a once-a-month change. You may have to change it more regularly and this means more money!
- One cat is okay, two max but beyond this, Issa NO!
84% of cat owners who have purchased this product recommend this specific product.
3. ScoopFree Original Automatic Cat Litter Box
This scoop-free self-cleaning litter box is a lifesaver since it uses disposable litter trays. This gives you a hands-off experience plus great odor control.
You simply plug in the self-cleaning litter box and observe it get to work.
It is engineered with an automatic brake system that sweeps the litter waste into the covered compartment. This occurs 20 minutes after your cat leaves the box.
There are safety sensors that detect whether your cat has re-entered the box and the twenty-minute timer immediately resets.
This box uses crystal litter that is 5 times more effective in odor control than clay or clumping cat litters.
Imagine walking into an odor-free, freshly smelling home every single day!
- The automatic cleaning saves you hours of scooping, cleaning, and refilling your cat’s litter box for a good number of days.
- It has super odor control. The crystal litter absorbs the urine and drys out the litter poop five times better than clumping clay litter, eliminating the bad smell.
- It eliminates tracking. The litter crystals do not stick to your cat’s paws and that ensures your floor doesn’t get messy.
- Provides leak protection. The disposable trays have a plastic litter lining to help protect against leaking. This keeps your floor sparkling clean and free from stinking.
- The box is easy to clean up. Throw away the disposable tray once it is worn out. The tray has a lid for quick disposal. A disposable tray lasts up to 20-30 days in a single cat household, every 10-15 days for 2 cats, every 7-10 days for 3 cats.
- This racking system is economical on the amount of litter used since it uses about 5 times less litter than clumping litter.
- This product has been tested thoroughly, to avoid common jamming complications that happen with self-cleaning litter boxes.
What’s included in the delivery?
- The ScoopFree self-cleaning litter box
- A disposable litter tray with lid
- A bag of Premium Crystal Litter
- A power adapter
- Your user manual.
When introducing your cat to this automatic box, be present to guide your cat through. Ensure that she is fully comfortable using the system. Supervision is key at this stage.
This automatic self-cleaning cat litter box is best suitable for kittens above 6 months of age.
If your cat has mobility issues due to arthritis or old age or is handicapped, avoid using this box.
Cat’s waste may contain toxoplasmosis bacteria. These can be harmful to pregnant women, babies, and those with weakened immune systems. These individuals should not be in contact with litter waste.
- This automatic box doesn’t work well for cats with diarrhea. This is because the diarrhea is smeared all over the raking system.
- It ends up leaving a nasty crystal mess in the main pan. This, however, is not the case for normal stools.
- In a household with multiple cats, the crystal will last but a few days before replacement. This can be overwhelming to you in terms of increased costs.
- It doesn’t mask the urine odor very well and you may have to leave a window open.
82% of cat owners who have purchased this product recommend this specific product.
4. Whisker Litter-Robot WiFi Enabled Automatic Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
It is WiFi-enabled and automatically cleans the litter box after your cat has used the box.
Odor control: Contains a carbon filtered waste drawer that absorbs odors and minimizes the need for constant scooping and litter change by 50%.
- It is self-cleaning and gives your cat a fresh pan with every litter box visit.
- Reduces unpleasant odors due to the carbon-filtered waste drawer.
- Economizes on litter usage due to reduced scooping
- One box can meet the needs of up to 4 cats
- Has an app that allows you to monitor waste levels and troubleshoot any problems
- It’s more expensive than other self-cleaning litter box options
- It is a big toy and may not be ideal if you have a small apartment
5. Pet Zone Smart Scoop Automatic Cat Litter Box
This box is innovatively designed to handle the scooping for you. It is relatively straightforward to use.
Using the handle, simply slide the built-in rake from one end of the box to the other.
Flip the handle upwards, and the hidden waste holder opens up to collect the clumps.
No more raking through with your own hands! Pull the handle back to get everything back into place, and you’re all set for the next round.
The waste is collected into a bag that is tied off and tossed when full. The carbon zeolite filter contains all the odors in the meantime.
- It cleans the cat box with one scoop.
- The carbon zeolite filter traps and gets rid of the odor.
- It has a slippery surface coating that makes scooping easy and avoids sticking of the litter clumps.
- It is equipped with a filter and four bags for easy hygienic waste disposal.
- It is easy to use
What’s in the delivery package?
- The self-cleaning litter box
- 4 no-touch waste bags
- Carbon zeolite filter
- The cleaning mechanism is manual and doesn’t move on its own. Operating it manually is difficult for most users.
- It is extremely fragile and not durable.
- It is difficult to clean and use the handle since it gets stuck and you have to resort to using a litter scoop.
- The scooper doesn’t reach the sides, the front or the back of the box.
I highly do not recommend this product. A huge number of pet lovers who bought this litter box either returned the box or were left with a junk item.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do self-cleaning litter boxes work?
There are two types of self-cleaning litter boxes:
1. Manual model:
This type still requires input from you and monitoring.
The cat deposits his waste into the litter, after which you manually tilt or rotate the litter box. This ends up separating the fresh litter from the waste. You then proceed to remove the waste and dump it into a waste bin.
The Everclean Self-scooping Litter Boxes fall under this.
Here, the cat’s litter box may have a snap-on cover that has a scooping screen. By simply rolling the box over once, the screen proceeds to trap the litter waste clumps. Proceed to open the lid and empty the litter waste.
The Omega Paw Self-cleaning litter box with a hood is also popular. Here, roll the top of the box 180 degrees to the floor and return to the original position. This removes litter waste. The waste goes into a removable kitty tray for disposal. Once this happens, the clean kitty litter falls back into the self-cleaning litter box for fresh use.
2. Automated model:
This automatic self-cleaning litter model has an eye sensor that detects when your cat has finished their elimination process and left the self-cleaning litter box.
The automatic litter box has sensors, timers and a motor with a rake hooked onto it. The rake combs through the litter and gets rid of unwanted waste into a separate sealed box.
These self-cleaning litter boxes barely need you as a cat owner to do anything.
They are battery-powered.
These are generally more expensive but are fully self-cleaning.
It involves filling the box with clumping cat litter. Your cat will then use the litter box normally.
About ten minutes later after the cat uses and leaves the self-cleaning litter box, an infrared sensor detects that. It signals an automatic programmed sifting comb to rake through the cat litter and scoop up any waste.
This is then deposited into an airtight sealed box. In the meantime, the brush skims easily over the litter, comes back to its original position, and is prepared to rehash the cleaning cycle.
About 20 minutes after your cat leaves the box, the litter is sifted and disposed of in a sealed tray below. The crystal cat litter absorbs urine, dehydrates feces, neutralizes smells, and minimizes tracking.
Once the self-cleaning litter box is full, remove the disposable tray and discard it.
Currently, advanced models exist such as the litter robot.
Are automatic cat litter boxes worth it?
Yes, automatic cat litter boxes are worth it. They
- Save on cleaning time spent on scooping the box.
- Help reduce odors since they remove the waste more frequently.
- Cushion you in case of long absences, where the risk of finding a messy litter box is high.
How do I get my cat to use an automatic litter box?
Cats can be a little slow to adapt to new things. They’re not as easy as dogs to train.
It’s great that you want your cat to use an automatic litter box, but you might have to take it slow.
The best thing is probably to let her use it on her own. Let her sniff around it, let her sit on it, and hopefully, she’ll start using it herself.
If she doesn’t after a while, try placing her in the self-cleaning litter box and see what happens.
If she seems afraid of it, just back off and let her approach it on her own again.
Will my cat get used to using the automatic litter box?
A simple hack involves taking the self-clean litter box and placing it next to the older litter box. This will enable the cat to associate the new box with elimination.
The next step would be to remove the hood and allow the cat to use it as a normal litter box without the automation.
Once your cat is comfortable, replace the hood and activate the automatic self-cleaning setting.
Do robot cat litter boxes work?
Yes, robot cat litter boxes do work.
They operate using sensors to detect when your cat enters the box and then again when she leaves. These boxes use an integrated conveyor belt that picks up the waste and drops it into the containment bin after your cat leaves.
Meanwhile, the brush skims easily over the litter, comes back to its original position, and is prepared to rehash the cleaning cycle.
Do automatic litter boxes reduce smell?
Yes, automatic litter boxes reduce the smell.
Some automatic litter boxes reduce smell better than others. The best ones have built-in carbon filters and some type of odor control.
The best automatic litter box for multiple cats
The best automatic litter box for multiple cats is the LitterMaid Automatic Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box.
When it comes to choosing a self-cleaning litter box, there are a lot of options you can choose from. After all, there are so many factors to consider and important features to find.
From the overall design of the unit to the placement of the sensors and the scooping mechanisms, there’s a lot that goes into a litter box.
The market is filled with self-cleaning litter boxes. However, not all of them are created equal.
In this blog, we have discussed the top five automatic litter boxes around and have given you our recommendations on the ones that are worth buying.
Which leads us to wonder: Out of the 5 options, which one is your best choice?