Owning a cat and getting home to friendly rubs and cuddles is a dream for most pet lovers. They are friendly, clean, and have a calming effect especially after a long bad day. The sound of their purring as you sleep is so relaxing.
This fairy story doesn’t end there, because the thought of constant scooping of the cat’s litter boxes can quickly dim your plans of acquiring a cat. It can be a tedious, repetitive, and gross affair that takes up your time and effort. Who wants to keep cleaning a smelly kitty box anyway?
Lucky for you, automatic litter boxes are here to solve your biggest problem.
Having a cat as a pet and getting home to generous rubs is a thing that most pet lovers enjoy. Multiply that feel good effect by a factor when you have many cats in your house.
The sound of their purr as you sleep is so relaxing and calming effect you much needed, especially after a long day.
This, however, can quickly turn into a nuisance due to the constant scooping of the litter boxes and cleaning that’s needed in a multi-cat house. This takes up your time and wears you down, especially if you have a demanding job and are busy.
The solution to this would be getting a multi-cat automatic litter box. Let’s dig deeper into this.
Table of Contents
- 1 Are self-cleaning litter boxes worth it?
- 2 Will my cat get used to using the automatic litter box?
- 3 How do self-cleaning litter boxes work?
- 4 Do self-cleaning cat litter boxes really work?
- 5 The best automatic litter boxes are:
- 6 Verdict:
- 7 Conclusion:
Are self-cleaning litter boxes worth it?
To understand if they are a worthy investment, let’s explore the benefits and the cons of the self-cleaning litter boxes.
Benefits of the self-cleaning cat boxes:
1. Saves on cleaning time spent on scooping the box.
2. They help reduce odors since they remove the waste more frequently.
3. Cushions you in case of long absences, where the risk of finding a messy litter box is high.
Cons of the self-cleaning boxes:
1. Some don’t work as efficiently as they should.
2. Not the best option for a multi cat household unless you have one for each cat, plus an extra automatic litter box.
3. May not be 100% automatic and requires manual input. This includes empting the waste receptacle to unclog the rake.
4. Your cat may not like it. Some get scared by the automatic flushing sound and may avoid it all together.
Will my cat get used to using the automatic litter box?
A simple hack involves taking the self clean litter box and placing it next to the older litter box. This will enable the cat to associate the new box with elimination.
The next step would be to remove the hood and allow the cat use it as a normal litter box without the automation.
Once your cat is comfortable, replace the hood and activate the automatic self-cleaning setting.
How do self-cleaning litter boxes work?
There are two types:1. Manual model:
This type still requires input from you and monitoring.
The cat deposits his waste into the litter, after which you manually tilt or rotate the litter box. This ends up separating the fresh litter from the waste. You then proceed to remove the waste and dump it into a waste bin.
The Everclean Self-scooping Litter Boxes falls under this.
Here, the cat’s litter box may have a snap-on cover that has a scooping screen. By simply rolling the box over once, the screen proceeds to trap the litter waste clumps. Proceed to open the lid and empty the litter waste.
The Omega Paw Self-cleaning litter box with a hood is also popular. Here, roll the top of the box 180 degrees to the floor and return back to the original position. This removes litter waste. The waste goes into a removable kitty tray for disposal. Once this happens, the clean cat litter falls back into the self-cleaning litter box for fresh use.
2. Automated model:
This model has an eye sensor that detects when your cat has finished their elimination process, and left the self-cleaning litter box.
The automatic litter box has sensors, timers and a motor with a rake hooked onto it. The rake combs through the litter and gets rid of unwanted waste into a separate sealed box.
These boxes barely need you as a cat owner to do anything.
They are battery-powered.
These are generally more expensive but are fully self-cleaning.
It involves filling the box with clumping cat litter. Your cat will then use the litter box normally.
About ten minutes later after the cat uses and leaves the self-cleaning litter box, an infrared sensor detects that. It signals an automatic programmed sifting comb to rake through the cat litter and scoop up any waste.
This is then deposited into an airtight sealed box. In the meantime, the brush skims easily over the litter, comes back to its original position and is prepared to rehash the cycle.
About 20 minutes after your cat leaves the box, the litter is sifted and disposed off in a sealed tray below. The crystal cat litter absorbs urine, dehydrates feces, neutralizes smells, and minimizes tracking.
Once the self-cleaning litter box is full, remove the disposable tray and discard it.
Currently advanced models exist such as the robot litter.
Do self-cleaning cat litter boxes really work?
Yes, self-cleaning cat litter boxes really work as explained above.
Below are the automatic litter box reviews.
The best automatic litter boxes are:
1. Omega Paw Roll’ N Clean Cat Litter Box
This ingenious automatic litter box contains a grill that scoops out the clumped cat litter waste. It then deposits it in the pull-out tray.
To do this, simply roll the self-cleaning litter box onto its top and roll it back to the original up-right position.
Eject the litter tray and get rid of the clumped litter waste.
Go ahead and clean the tray before returning it back.
Key Benefits of the Omega Paw Roll’ N Clean Cat Litter Box:
· The grill does all the dirty work by scooping out the clumped waste into the pull out tray. This saves you on time and the hustle of scooping out litter manually using a litter scoop.
· This self-cleaning litter box doesn’t run on electricity.
It won’t break down on you when you need it most during a power shortage. It scoops and scoops 24/7.
· It is fantastic for your fat cat or even a household with multiple cats. It controls odors flawlessly, controls dust and quickly self-cleans.
This model works best with clumping litter of silica gel cat litters.
o Its dimensions are: 18.5 x 21.5 x 20 inches
o Weight: 6.5 pounds
· The amount of clumping litter you need is astonishingly low compared to that used on a traditional litter box. Additionally, only the clumping litter is scooped and the clean litter remains on the tray.
· The box contains built in litter steps that trap litter from your cat’s paws as she leaves the box.
· This is hands down the best reliable budget option on the self-cleaning litter boxes spectrum.
Cons of the Omega Paw Roll’ N Clean Cat Litter Boxes
· You may have to roll it a couple of times to catch all the clumped litter.
· Depending on the litter type that you are using, some clumps may get stuck and you have to scrape it out with a scoop.
· Not all the clumped litter waste will make it to the exit tray on your first try.
· It is a bulky box and not very impressive looking.
81% of cat owners who have purchased this product recommend this specific product.
2. ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box:
The ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Boxes have an amazing design that enables them to work automatically. Once connected to power, plug in the litter box and it takes over the rest of the work.
The automatic rake system collects waste into the covered hood every 5-20 minutes after your cat leaves the box.
Once you set the timer, it resets if the safety sensors detect that your cat has re-entered the cat box.
It’s equipped with a health counter that allows you to track the number of times your cat has used the self-cleaning litter box. As a result, you can quickly identify possible health issues.
It comes with a privacy hood that ensures the cat litter remains intact. This box comes with one tray of special crystal litter to kick start your journey.
This crystal litter has amazingly 5 times greater odor reduction properties than clay or clumping litters.
Key Benefits of the Scoop-Free Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box:
· Automatically removes the waste:
The self-cleaning automatic rake system cleans the entire box within twenty minutes after your cat exits the box. It ensures that she doesn’t get startled. The days of daily manual scooping are over!
· Unbeatable odor control:
The system rakes through the litter and accumulates the waste into a covered trap on one end of the tray. This provides superior odor control.
· No more messy floors:
This crystal litter with 5 times greater odor control absorbs urine on contact and dries the solid waste to minimize odor. This scoop free box stays clean for weeks because of this and a tray can last up to three weeks before you replace it. This is true, especially in a single cat household.
· Leak protection:
You can use disposable litter trays that are easy to clean up. The plastic tray liners prevent leaking which can cause smelly odors in your house.
· Great money saver:
This automatic system consumes about 5-10 times less litter than clay and clumping cat litter. Talk of reduced savings! The crystal litters ensure the cat box remains dry and this makes the box less prone to bacterial growth.
· Sizeable cat box that can be used by a big-boned kitty. It works well in a household with multiple cats too.
o Product Dimensions: 28.5 x 20.5 x 11.5 inches
o Weight: 19.55 pounds
This automatic self-cleaning cat litter box is best suitable for kitten above 6 months of age.
If your cat has mobility issues due to arthritis, old age or disability, avoid using this box.
Finally, when introducing your cat to this automatic box, be present to guide your cat through. Ensure that she is fully comfortable using the system.
Cons of the ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box:
· The waste compartment may clog up especially if your cat digs deep enough and piles the litter on the side. This may cause the automatic raking to stop due to obstruction.
· Your cat may be a bit apprehensive at first to use the self-cleaning litter box
· Depending with your cat, the litter doesn’t last as long to allow a once a month change. You may have to change it more regularly and this means more money!
· One cat is okay, two is a max but beyond this, issa NO!
84% of cat owners who have purchased this product recommend this specific product.
3. ScoopFree Original Automatic Cat Litter Box
This scoopfree self-cleaning litter box is a life saver since it uses disposable litter trays. This gives you a hands-off experience plus great odor control.
You simply plug in the self-cleaning litter box and observe it get to work.
It is engineered with an automatic rake system that sweeps the litter waste into the covered compartment. This occurs 20 minutes after your cat leaves the box.
There are safety sensors that detect whether your cat has re-entered the box and the twenty minute timer immediately resets.
This box uses crystal litter that is 5 times more effective in odor control than clay or clumping cat litters.
Imagine walking into an odor-free, freshly smelling home every single day!
· The ScoopFree Original Automatic Cat Litter Box automatically removes waste, 20 minutes after your cat leaves the box. The rakes moves waste into a separated closed waste. This saves you hours of scooping, cleaning and refilling your cat’s litter box for a good number of days.
· It has super odor control. The crystal litter absorbs the urine and drys out the litter poop five times better than clumping clay litter, eliminating the bad smell.
· It eliminates tracking. The litter crystals do no stick to your cat’s paws and that ensures your floor doesn’t get messy.
o The box dimensions are: 27.4 x 19 x 7 inches
o It weighs 16.7 pounds
· Provides leak protection. The disposable trays have a plastic litter lining to help protect against leaking. This keeps your floor sparkling clean and free from stinking.
· The box is easy to cleanup. Throw away the disposable tray once it is worn out. The tray has a lid for quick disposal. A disposable tray lasts up to 20-30 days in a single cat household, every 10-15 days for 2 cats, every 7-10 days for 3 cats.
· This racking system is economical on the amount of litter used since it uses about 5 times less litter than clumping litter.
· This product has been tested thoroughly, to avoid common jamming complications that happen with automatic litter boxes.
What’s included in the delivery?
· The ScoopFree self-cleaning litter box
· A disposable litter tray with lid
· A bag of Premium Crystal Litter
· A power adapter
· Your user manual.
When introducing your cat to this automatic box, be present to guide your cat through. Ensure that she is fully comfortable using the system. Supervision in key at this stage.
This automatic self-cleaning cat litter box is best suitable for kitten above 6 months of age.
If your cat has mobility issues due to arthritis or old age or is handicapped, avoid using this box.
Cat’s waste may contain toxoplasmosis bacteria. These can be harmful to pregnant women, babies and those with weakened immune systems. These individuals should not be in contact with litter waste.
Cons of ScoopFree Original Automatic Cat Litter Box
· This automatic box doesn’t work well for cats with diarrhea. This is because the diarrhea is smeared all over the raking system.
It ends up leaving a nasty crystal mess in the main pan. This however, is not the case for normal stools.
· In a household with multiple cats, the crystal will last but a few days before replacement. This can be overwhelming to you in terms of increased costs.
· It doesn’t mask the urine odor very well and you may have to leave a window open.
82% of cat owners who have purchased this product recommend this specific product.
4. Pet Zone EZ Scoop No-Touch Manual Cat Litter Box
This box is innovatively designed to handle the scooping for you. It is relatively straight forward to use.
Using the handle, simply slide the built-in rake from one end of the box to the other. Flip the handle upwards, and the hidden waste holder opens up to collect the clumps. No more raking through with your own hands! Pull the handle back to get everything back into place, and you’re all set for the next round. The waste is collected into a bag that is tied off and tossed when full. The carbon zeolite filter contains all the odors in the meantime.
· It cleans the cat box with one scoop.
· The carbon zeolite filter traps and gets rid of the odor.
· It has a slippery surface coating that makes scooping easy, and avoids sticking of the litter clumps.
· It is equipped with a filter and four bags for easy hygenic waste disposal.
· It is easy to use
What’s in the delivery package?
· The self-cleaning litter box
· 4 no-touch waste bags
· Carbon zeolite filter
Cons of the Pet Zone EZ Scoop No-Touch Manual Cat Litter Box
· The cleaning mechanism is manual and doesn’t move on its own. Operating it manually is difficult for most users.
· It is extremely fragile and not durable.
· It is difficult to clean and use the handle since it gets stuck and you have to resort to using a litter scoop.
· The scooper doesn’t reach the sides, the front nor the back of the box.
I highly do not recommend this product. A huge number of pet lovers who bought this litter box either returned the box or were left with a junk item.
The best automatic litter box of choice is Omega Paw Roll’ N Clean Cat Litter Box.
It has a 81% buyer satisfaction and cat owners who bought it recommend this brand.