The Best Budget Cat Litter Box is the Van Ness Cat Litter Pan.
Have you been searching high and low for the best budget-friendly litter box and still can’t seem to find the one?! Your search ends here.
You’ve probably heard the advice that you shouldn’t spend more on an item for your pet than you do for yourself.
So what does that mean? It means that if you’re in the budget market, don’t go spending your hard-earned money on something overly expensive just because it might provide a little luxury to your cat.
A high price doesn’t always translate into high quality.
What it should mean is that you invest in products that offer the best value for their fairly low cost.
Why spend a lot of money on a litter box when you can buy one for cheap?
This blog is all about cheap litter boxes. I hope to save you some time and money so that you can spend more time cuddling your precious kitty!
I love my cat. But cat care does get expensive, and these little things add up.
So when I needed to buy her a litter box, I decided to buy the cheapest but quality one I could find – and it’s worked out great!
That’s why I’ve put together this list of some of the best cheap litter boxes on the market.
If you’re looking for a cheap litter box with high-quality features that still works well, then this blog is for you.
I’ve used a lot of litter boxes over the years, and I finally found one that I love.
I’ve decided to share my knowledge with you so here is my review of the best cheap cat litter boxes I have found on the market.
These boxes are affordable which is why they can be great for those of us who are on limited budgets.
Best Budget Cat Litter Box Top Picks
If you are pressed for time, here are the top 7 picks for cheap cat litter boxes that I recommend for your home:
- Van Ness Cat Litter Pan
- Van Ness High Sides Cat Litter Pan
- Frisco Open Top Cat Litter Box With Rim, Large 19-in
- Petmate Litter Pan
- Frisco High Sided Cat Litter Box, Medium 18-in
- Petmate Basic Cat Litter Pan, Jumbo
- IRIS Open Top Litter Box with Shield
Do cats prefer open or closed litter boxes?
Contrary to popular opinion, cats prefer an open litter box to a closed one.
Animal behaviorists and many pet owners have found that cats prefer a clean, private, quiet, large litter box that they can easily get into and out of.
Cats are not fond of enclosed spaces and thus, prefer open litter boxes as compared to closed ones. Closed litter boxes do not give the cat enough opportunities to move around.
Cats due to their natural survival instinct do not want to be in an enclosed space while eliminating to avoid being attacked by a predator. They want to have a clear view of the surrounding during this vulnerable moment.
Top 7 Best Budget Litter Boxes
1. Van Ness Cat Litter Pan
The Van Ness Cat Litter Pan is one of the cheapest litter boxes on the market and introduces simplicity and ease of use to the kitty box.
- Comes in a polished finish that makes it odor resistant and resistant to staining.
- It’s a small litter box for small-sized kittens.
- This cheap cat box has an easy entry and exit for your kittens.
- Suitable for kittens with mobility or joint issues.
- It’s made from quality partially recycled content.
- The large pan is extremely small for most cats.
2. Van Ness High Sides Cat Litter Pan
The Van Ness High Sides Cat Litter Pan makes cleaning the cheap cat box a breeze.
- The high-sided design reduces litter dispersal and is ideal for cats who dig in their litter.
- It has a polished, odor- and stain-resistant finish that is simple to clean.
- Ideal for huge cats who like to dig or households with many cats
- The open litter box design is ideal for cats who want easy access to the litter
- The open litter box design makes spot cleaning a breeze.
- This cheap cat litter box is too small for adult cats.
3. Frisco Open Top Cat Litter Box With Rim, Large 19-in
The Frisco Open Top Cat Litter Box allows cats to do their business in a spacious yet private environment.
This cheap cat litter tray is composed of tough, high-quality plastic that cleans up quickly with soap and water.
- A rim around the sides and back wall keeps litter and spray inside the box.
- The rim around the sides and back wall serves as a privacy shield.
- The lowered front side allows cats to easily enter and exit the box.
- The open-box design and removable top ring make scooping the litter and cleaning small messes a breeze.
- This sturdy litter box is made of high-quality plastic, so it can withstand a lot of digging and pawing.
- Comes in a large size that provides enough room for cats to wander around.
- It’s BPA-free and recyclable, making it ideal for environmentally conscious pet owners.
- If a cat pees at the seam where the two pieces connect, it leaks all over the floor.
- Doesn’t latch. The top does not snap to the box–with the liner inside, it keeps falling off.
4. Petmate Litter Pan
This litter pan is one of the most durable on the market, thanks to its broad base that provides further stability.
- It’s ideal for messy cats. With its wide profile base, it is designed to reduce spills and litter scatter, keeping your home clean.
- It’s perfect for single or numerous cat households as it comes in a variety of sizes.
- These cheap cat litter boxes are built to last and combat odors.
- It’s easier to scoop out waste when there’s no hood!
- Because these litter pans are so deep, they’re much easier to keep clean.
- These cheap cat litter boxes are not sturdy enough and can easily break.
- The plastic is thin and feels cheap
5. Frisco High Sided Cat Litter Box, Medium 18-in
The Frisco High-Sided Cat Litter Box helps keep litter where it belongs: inside the litter box.
- The front wall has a step-in design to make it easier for kitties to arrive and go.
- The high sides and back aid to retain litter and cat spray.
- This sturdy litter box is made of high-quality plastic, so it can withstand cat clawing.
- The open design of this cheap cat box also makes quick spot cleaning a breeze.
- It’s BPA-free and recyclable, making it ideal for environmentally conscious pet parents.
- Due to the low front entry, your cat may pee outside the box and kick out litter.
- It may only be ideal for a kitten
6. Petmate Basic Cat Litter Pan, Jumbo
Petmate was created with strength and stability in mind. A sturdy litter box that gives your cat a safe and secure area to do her business.
- The open-top design has a broad base to keep litter from spilling out.
- The handle has been lengthened for ease of lifting and convenience.
- The box can be placed anywhere in your home and accessed from any direction.
- It’s made of eco-friendly plastic and has a broad base to help prevent litter scatter.
- The Petmate Basic Cat Litter Pan is a great choice for most homes with one or more cats because of its firmness and stability.
- The box is made from thin plastic.
- It’s a huge litter box and uses a lot of litter to fill up.
7. IRIS Open Top Litter Box with Shield
With this open-top litter box from IRIS, you can keep your cat’s litter in the box and off the floor.
- Litter and cat spray are kept inside the box by a three-sided shield.
- It allows your cat to do potty in a semi-private area.
- It has an open top for simple cleaning.
- The open-top container provides easy access for your cat.
- It is way too small for large cats.
- The top piece comes off too easily
- The grooves on the inside cause the cat’s urine to get stuck, making it hard to clean.
Factors to Consider when Buying the Best Cheap Litter Boxes
Here’s what to put into consideration the next time you want to purchase a cheap cat box for your feline friend.
If you have a large cat or multiple kitties, you may need a larger box for them to feel comfortable in their surroundings.
Litter boxes can take up space and be an eyesore in your home. Consider where you can keep it so that it’s most convenient for your cat and also blends in with your home décor if possible. Some litter boxes come with covers so they can be hidden away in closets or under furniture.
Choose a litter box that is easy to clean and maintain so you can keep your pet happy and healthy!
The design of your litter box also matters to your cat. There are open boxes, covered boxes, and self-cleaning styles available to choose from. The type of design that is best for your cat will depend on its personality and attitude towards using the bathroom. If your cat tends to be timid, then an enclosed box may be best. If it likes to spray urine onto walls or other objects in the room, then a covered box may help keep things cleaner. A self-cleaning box is also an excellent choice if you want something that will allow you to clean up very quickly.
It is important to consider material when buying a litter box because it influences how easy it is to clean and maintain the box. Plastic is amongst the most preferred materials for many cat lovers because it is easy to clean, maintain, and scoop poop from. Moreover, some plastic materials have better odor control properties than cardboard or other materials that are used in making cheap litter boxes.
Go for budget quality boxes that will last long. Avoid the cheap low quality options because they may not be made out of durable materials and will get damaged quickly.
What can I use instead of a litter box?
1. Storage Containers:
Storage containers serve the role of a litter box perfectly. In case your litter box goes out of shape, this would be a great option to opt for.
2. Carton Box:
In case you can’t find a storage container, carton boxes are great litter tray alternatives. Kitties are great fans of boxes.
3. Disposable Litter Box:
If scooping waste out of the cat litter box is your worst nightmare, a disposable litter box is what might solve your struggles.
It’s excellent for cat owners who want to use and throw-away box option for their cat.
4. Old Cabinet to Litter Box Furniture:
A hidden DIY cabinet is great to keep the sight of litter boxes out of your eyes.
5. DIY Homemade Kitty Litter Box:
If you are creative and are interested in building your own DIY litter box solution, this is definitely for you.
6. Cat Litter Box Mat Pads:
Kitty litter box mat pads are 5-layer mats that are an awesome option when it comes to traveling.
They are convenient and can fit easily in your car.
What is the most inexpensive cat litter?
The most inexpensive cat litter is the Tidy Cats Instant Action Unscented Non-Clumping Clay Cat Litter.
CLICK HERE to see its current price.
There are many inexpensive cat litters available that can be used to satisfy a cat’s needs. Most of the cheapest cat litters are made from clay, recycled paper, or wheat.
The type of litter you choose depends on your cat’s and your preferences.
There you have it! The budget cat litter boxes are on the top of the list.
Finding a good budget option to keep your feline friend clean and happy is no small feat.
After all, purchasing it won’t break your bank and you’re not going to be spending hundreds of dollars on it.
There are benefits to purchasing a budget litter box such as affordability.
You don’t have to spend a fortune because you can find a really good, effective, and reliable option for much less than ten dollars.
Each of these options not only gets the job done but also includes at least some great features that make your life easier.
I hope that you found this article to be helpful and informative, so if you did, please feel to share it with others.
If there are other things that you would like to see featured in this article, or if you have any questions, please let me know!