The Best Choice of litter for cats with allergies is Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter
Have you ever noticed your cat sneezing or wheezing when they come back inside the house?
It could be caused by airborne dust they’ve picked up while outside… Or maybe they have allergies and a lot of dust is simply a triggering factor.
Or maybe it’s because of the type of cat litter you’re using. That, my friend, is what makes choosing the best hypoallergenic cat litter so difficult.
With cats being such beloved pets, it’s unfortunate when an otherwise healthy one has to deal with an allergy.
If you own an allergic cat, you’re well aware of the sneezing, coughing, and eye irritation that comes with it.
Allergic cats are extra sensitive to their environment and can get sick whereas other cats would be fine.
You aim to provide your pet with the best environment possible. You want them to be healthy and happy.
You want your cat that has respiratory issues to live a long and happy life without allergic reactions.
Having a cat with allergies can be difficult for you.
That is why there are special litters that come in handy if you need a solution for such kinds of problems.
Nobody wants to get allergies, and nobody wants their cat to get it either. But don’t worry, I’m here to help.
Are you looking for a good hypoallergenic litter for your allergic cat? There are several options out there.
It can be confusing and overwhelming to choose the best litter for your cat that is dealing with allergies.
In this blog article, you will find a list of my top five recommendations of the best cat litter for cats with allergies, as well as useful information regarding cat litter brands.
Table of Contents
- 1 The Best Hypoallergenic Litter Top Picks
- 2 How do I know if my cat is allergic to his litter?
- 3 Best 7 hypoallergenic Cat Litters for Cats with Skin Allergies
- 3.1 1. PrettyLitter
- 3.2 2. Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter
- 3.3 3. CatSpot Litter 100% Coconut Cat Litter
- 3.4 4. Cat’s Pride Fresh Ultimate Hypoallergenic Cat Litter (3-pack)
- 3.5 5. Okocat Natural Wood Clumping Cat Litter
- 3.6 6. Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Household Litter
- 3.7 7. Boxiecat Premium Clumping Cat Litter – Scent Free
- 4 What is the best cat litter for cats with asthma?
- 5 Can cat litter cause allergies in cats?
- 6 Conclusion:
The Best Hypoallergenic Litter Top Picks
If you are pressed for time, here are the top 3 picks for the best litter for cats with allergies that I recommend for your feline friends:
- Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter
- Okocat Natural Wood Clumping Cat Litter
- Boxiecat Premium Clumping Cat Litter
How do I know if my cat is allergic to his litter?
A cat that is allergic to its litter will start showing the following signs and symptoms due to the discomfort and nuisance caused by the cat litter.
- Runny nose
- Itchy and watery eyes
- Facial swelling
- Constant sneezing and coughing
- Constant scratching due to an itchy skin
- Swelling on the nose and paws
- Vomiting and diarrhea
What is the healthiest litter for sensitive cats?
Cats with a low immune system and prone to allergic reactions should use a hypoallergenic litter.
The best cat litter products for allergic cats, without common allergens, have the following properties:
- Natural litter is made from recycled and bio gradable materials such as corn cat litter.
- Contains little or no dust and has an excellent odor control mechanism.
- Clumping litter that clumps on contact.
- Soft textured for cats with sensitive paws
- Suitable for use on multi-cat households
- Safe to flush and dispose
Best 7 hypoallergenic Cat Litters for Cats with Skin Allergies
PrettyLitter is the world’s smartest litter and one of the best hypoallergenic cat litter you can get on the market.
It is not only a natural cat litter made from natural materials hence environmentally friendly, but it’s also hypoallergenic.
It is made from natural minerals and absorbent silica that will trap moisture content and eradicate foul odors. This translates to fewer allergens and low dust in your cat’s litter box.
It’s a color-changing cat litter, alerting you of any underlying medical issues such as bladder issues, inflammation, kidney stones, and urinary tract infections
- Can detect underlying medical conditions
- Highly absorbent
- Easy to clean and dispose of waste by forming hard solid clumps
- It is a non-tracking cat litter
- Pocket friendly
- It tracks to some extent.
- When used, it may be irritating to the nostrils
2. Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter
Dr. Elsey’s cat litter is one of the best hypoallergenic litters for cats with allergies or respiratory problems.
Its composition consists of medium clay cat litter granules.
- Dr. Elsey’s hypoallergenic cat litters are unscented and dust-free; this means they have no allergens to trigger cat litter allergies in felines.
- Is suitable for mechanical litter boxes and sifting litter pans
- It is suitable for use in multi-cat households
- Excellent odor control
- Hardens hard upon contact with liquid making it easy to scoop the hard clumps. Good clumping clay litter properties
- Has low litter tracking levels and saves the cat owner the stress of sweeping the carpet!
- It contains herbal extracts that help in managing stress levels.
- It is not among the best eco environmentally-friendly cat litter
3. CatSpot Litter 100% Coconut Cat Litter
It is lightweight and easy to clean and manage.
Works well in a multi-cat household.
- 100 % made from Coconut with no chemical additives. It is one of the best hypoallergenic cat litters available and keeps allergies in cats at bay.
- CatSpot rids the tray of moisture very fast; hence it will keep your pan dry for a more extended period. This translates to less cleaning frequency, saving you time.
- The litter composes of fine and light granules that are good at absorbing and masking bad odors arising from the litter. This eliminates all the odors that will any form of cat litter allergy symptoms.
- The bio-gradable litter is environmentally friendly, and you can use it as an additive to the backyard and compost flower beds as manure.
- Litter tracking occurs on the areas around the litter box, hence manageable.
4. Cat’s Pride Fresh Ultimate Hypoallergenic Cat Litter (3-pack)
- 99% dust-free and ideal for cats with respiratory issues, making it a top pick.
- Lightweight: Cat pride is 50% lighter than other brands in the market, making it a favorite for use.
- The litter is also easy to manage since it has anti-litter tracking properties; hence it will not stick on the cat’s paws.
- The litter composes super fine granules that quickly form litter clumps that are easy to scoop on top of the litter. This makes cleaning more efficient and less demanding.
- Good litter clumping action.
- Offers a good value of money- A 3-pack for the price of 1.
- Good at odor control by use of odor control technology
- Contains no artificial scents
- Great moisture absorption
- Suitable for use in single and multiple cat households.
- Low dust is detectable in the litter
- Clumps well, but the clusters disintegrate over time
5. Okocat Natural Wood Clumping Cat Litter
Okocat natural wood clumping litter is made 100% from natural wood fiber by using modern technology to form hardy and dense mini pellets cat litter that is good for cats with skin allergies.
The kitty litter is fragrance-free and comes free from synthetic chemicals and dyes.
Okocat natural wood is light, making its usage a simple experience and hence one of the best litters for your allergic feline friends.
- 99% dust-free
- Has good clumping properties by forming tough clumps which are easily scoopable
- 100% made from natural ingredients and biodegradable
- It’s a flushable cat litter made from natural wood fiber
- Works well with cats with long hair
- Easy to clean and dispose of- holds over 200% moisture content of its weight hence less cleaning frequency
- Controls odors in the cat’s litter tray
- Good at controlling moisture even in a multi-cat household.
- Expensive: It is a premium brand, so be ready to open that wallet
6. Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Household Litter
One of the best natural litters and can be used on multiple cats sharing the same litter box.
If you have an allergic cat, this is the best kitty litter to use to avoid allergic reactions. Due to its fast clumping properties, cleaning and disposal of solid waste are straightforward.
Being biodegradable means that you can flush the litter into the sewer lines.
- Walnut fresh is 100% natural with no chemicals and additives
- 100% biodegradable
- High moisture absorbency rate
- Forms hard clumps fast, which do not break when cleaning the cat’s litter pan.
- 99% dust-free and good for keeping allergies in cats at bay.
- Low tracking on the areas around the kitty pan.
- Lacks a scented version
7. Boxiecat Premium Clumping Cat Litter – Scent Free
The litter is composed of very fine granules that are soft on your cat’s paws.
The litter also clumps very fast and hard on top, making cleaning and disposal very easy.
The litter doesn’t have any artificial fragrance and comes free from synthetic chemicals and dyes that can trigger allergies.
- Highly recommended by vets
- Clumps hard and fast hence easy to scoop the litter and dispose
- Eliminates all the bad odors in the cat pan.
- You can use the litter on multiple cats in the same cat tray.
- Dust-free due to the dust-free formula used in making the litter.
- The tiny litter granules stick on the cat’s paws, making it uncomfortable
- Litter tracking occurs on the areas around the cat pan.
What is the best cat litter for cats with asthma?
The best litter for asthmatic cats that I recommend is Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Silica Cat Litter.
If your cat is asthmatic, consider using cat litter that will not trigger an asthmatic attack.
The following are some qualities of the best type of litter for allergic felines:
- The cat litter should be dust-free; stay away from clay cat litter. Clay litters tend to be dusty and the clay dust can trigger an allergic response.
- The cat litter should be scent-free if your feline is allergic to some scents
- It should have good clumping clay litter properties
- Should be silica free
- Use cat litters made of heavy and large granules; they emit little dust
How to Manage a Litter Box for a Cat with Allergies?
- Always vacuum your house every day instead of sweeping, more so if you have carpeted floors.
- Keep the cat litter box clean and odor-free at all times. A cat with chronic bronchitis or asthma will get overwhelmed in a dirty cat pan full of unpleasant odors.
- Do not pour cat litter directly into the pan. To minimize the allergens in the cat litters, pour the right litter in a lidded container outside the house. From the container, then pour the litter into the cat’s litter box using a cup.
- Switch the cat litter more often or switch to 100% natural cat litter.
Can cat litter cause allergies in cats?
Yes, cat litter can cause allergies in cats. A cat’s litter box is one of the top places allergens are found in a home.
Cat litter dust contains silica dust, which may trigger an allergic reaction to your cat’s eyes, nose, or throat.
Feline companions that inhale dust from some types of cat litter may develop allergic reactions to the dust litter particles.
Symptoms may include sneezing and coughing or an itchy or runny nose or eyes.
If your cat has allergies, try using dust-free litter that’s made from a natural alternative.
If you have a cat with allergies and you’re not sure what the cause is, talk to your veterinarian about testing for specific allergens as well as trying different types of cat food and litter.
Can cat litter cause my cat to sneeze?
Yes, dusty cat litter can cause your cat to sneeze.
The dust in the cat litter can cause inflammation of the nasal passages, which may lead to sneezing.
If your cat’s sneezing is not chronic, you need not worry. If it is, change the brand of your cat’s litter.
What can I give my cat for skin allergies?
The best solution for your cat’s allergies is first to keep it away from the offending allergens. Below are some solutions for skin allergies that cat owners can apply:
- To relieve itchiness, make some homemade dips consisting of rosemary and peppermint essential oils. Itchiness is associated with dry skin and fleas.
- Introduce CBD oils into your cat’s diet; this will prevent excessive scratching by soothing the itchy and dry skin.
- Exercise your cat to prevent over-grooming on the affected parts of the skin
- Bathe your cat regularly with anti-itch shampoo.
- Use Omega 3 and 6 supplements to rejuvenate the cat’s skin back to health.
- Seek advice from a vet if your cat’s health fails to improve.
The journey to a happy home is often a long road, and finding the right cat litter is only one stop along the way.
You might ask why I should spend all this money and attention on a cat. You love your pet, don’t you?
Yes, it is a bundle of joy and should be well taken care of.
Traditional cat litter with sodium bentonite will only make things worse for your kitty and worsen the cat’s allergies.
The best option is to settle for a hypoallergenic litter that is suitable for your cat that has a respiratory disease.
The fav top that I recommend is Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter