Every waking day, new ideas pop up on how we can provide better the living conditions for our feline friends. Sleeker looking, covered boxes, automatic self-cleaning litter boxes, and now the new kid in the block…..the litter box furniture.
Growing up, we pretty much didn’t have lots of varieties to choose from. I literally made almost every litter box we had and sourced for materials locally.
This litter box cabinet however, is a game-changer. It is a litter box built into a piece of furniture such as a cabinet or a night stand.
This forms part of the basic furniture in the house and doesn’t alter anything.
Table of Contents
- 1 The genesis of the cat litter box cabinet
- 2 Benefits of the hidden cat litter box
- 3 CONS OF THE HIDDEN CAT LITTER BOX
- 4 Key features to take into consideration before getting your litter box furniture
- 5 The best litter box furniture
- 5.1 1. Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter
- 5.2 2. New Age Pet ecoFLEX Litter Loo and End Table
- 5.3 3. Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench Decorative Litter Box Cover and Storage
- 5.4 4. Merry Products Washroom Night Stand Multifunctional Litter Pan Cover
- 5.5 5. Trixie Wooden Cat Home and Litter Box Cover:
- 6 Conclusion:
The genesis of the cat litter box cabinet
A hidden litter box usually stays hidden in plain sight since it’s inside an enclosure like a cabinet. This makes it an ideal resting area and comfort zone for your cat.
They provide much more space for your feline friends unlike a typical standalone litter box.
Besides, they have ventilation systems that keep odors at bay.
Leakage avoidance features are present too.
Cats generally like to feel safe and enjoy their privacy while relieving themselves.
This translates into ensuring that the litter box is in a low traffic area, covered or in this case hidden.
This is a perfect hiding place since it’s designed to blend in with your living space. It remains unseen by visitors.
Who is this for?
If the unsightly site of a bulky looking smelly box, is not your cup of coffee, then I’m speaking to you my friend.
How about we go through the benefits of the litter box cabinet if you are not yet convinced.
1. Hides the litter box mess:
The ghastly sight of an open litter box with cat poop on it, is not the best of memories you want to have in your own house. We will not even talk about visitors!
While you may opt to tuck away the litter box in the bathroom or laundry room, this still doesn’t beat the safety and convenience of a cat litter box furniture. In fact, the furniture litter box is more spacious and comfortable for your cat.
Let’s face it, watching a cat poop while you are having your burger is not a tantalizing site to behold.
2. Masks the smell:
Smells are kept at bay by virtue of the litter box furniture design.
Most uncovered litter boxes do not provide the options of hiding the smell. You end up using sprays and scented litters which are detrimental.
3. Beautiful House Décor:
Furniture litter boxes usually come in artistic designs. When added into the living rooms or even bedrooms, they complete the overall look so well.
You can even choose the color you want to blend with your house theme.
4. Offers privacy for your cat:
Cats are suckers for privacy and nothing beats a cat litter cabinet when it comes to this.
Your cat will love you for this as it’s a space where she can retreat peacefully, rest and relieve herself.
She has an outside view through the opening while at it.
This ensures that she doesn’t feel trapped.
5. Dog proof litter box:
If you have a dog as a pet, do not be surprised if you catch him treating himself to the cat poop. This is common where the litter box is uncovered.
This problem however, you can end it by using the litter box furniture model.
6. Kids control:
Curious children will play with anything they come across and a litter box won’t be spared either.
While they may still stick in their hands, that’s a greater relief than finding your toddler all covered up in cat poop. Some even jump right inside the litter box.
7. Less litter tracking occurs:
The protective walls all-round the sides of the litter box furniture ensure that the litter remains within the litter box cabinet.
Also, some cat litter box furniture have anti-tracking mats that minimizes litter tracking.
Your cat can clean her paws while walking out of the litter box enclosure.
8. Multi-Functional Furniture piece:
You can use it for other tasks like storing things while safely hiding the cat litter box underneath.
CONS OF THE HIDDEN CAT LITTER BOX
Hardly do you hear about the disadvantages of a litter box furniture.
Here we outline the cons, for the cats and the cat owners.
1. Training may be needed:
Once you introduce the litter box cabinet, you may need to train your cat so that he can begin using his new “home”.
This may take some time.
Pro tip: Start the training by moving their litter pan next to the cat litter box furniture. This will allow her to associate with this cat litter box. A few days later, put the litter pan into the litter box furniture.
2. Accessing the cat litter box furniture may be challenging:
The steps of getting the litter tray are, opening the door, sliding out a drawer or lifting a lid so as to access the cat’s litter box.
Some litter boxes however have developed sleek sliding drawers. These open fully making this whole process simpler.
PS: If your cat tends to track litter outside the box enclosure, the litter particles may fall inside the box furniture. These can be difficult to remove.
3. Poor ventilation causing an odor:
Odor is the biggest advantage and the biggest disadvantage of this hooded cat litter tray. Why?
Because the hood traps odors and keeps them from spreading from the litter tray.
We humans love it because the room smells less and the sight is more appealing.
The cats, however, can have a difficult time, because the litter box if not cleaned out frequently stinks. The trapped smell concentrates inside the chamber.
Your cat may abandon her litter box completely. She may then relieve herself on your carpet or favorite flower pot instead.
Twice-daily scooping of the cat’s litter box solves this problem.
4. Hood prevents sight to the environment:
Most cat owners believe that having a covered litter box will give their cats some privacy. Interestingly, cats don’t crave it because in nature, they love to eliminate in open spaces, as it is much safer.
When a wild animal goes to eliminate, it’s the only time he cannot defend himself properly, besides when he sleeps.
As a result, cats prefer being able to monitor their environment while they are in their litter boxes. The litter box furniture prevents them from doing so.
5. Prolonged drying time:
The hood inhibits proper air circulation causing the litter to remain wet for longer than without a cover. In an open box, the wetness evaporates quickly.
This, of course, is not a disturbance for us, cat owners.
This is uncomfortable to the cat who has to step inside a dirty, damp litter box. Depending on his tolerance level, it can vary from just displeasure and annoyance to complete avoidance of the litter box furniture.
Always remember that simply because you can’t see a problem doesn’t mean that there isn’t one.
You can conclude that your cat does not like something about his litter box enclosure if you notice that your cat is:
-Meowing or hesitating before entering the litter box furniture,
-Digging the litter too long,
-Peeing with part of his body outside of the litter box furniture and such like behavior.
Key features to take into consideration before getting your litter box furniture
To create your own unique and top-notch hidden cat litter box, ensure at least most of these features are in place:
- Contains ventilation holes that enable air circulation
- Has a vented system that keeps dust and odors at bay
- Keeps dogs away from the litter
- Has a plant and decorative moss for accessorizing
- Equipped with a hydraulic safety hinge for easier cleaning
The best litter box furniture
1. Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter
This Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter is cleverly disguised as a beautiful house plant.
It comprises of a two-piece bottom that looks like a real clay pot. The plants and its parts are held between the top and bottom section of the box.
In addition, it has moss and a filter and can be used with any type of cat litter.
Your pets are able to crawl into the planter base and eliminate with privacy.
You can also line the planter base with bedding and use it as a pet bed.
The litter box enclosure is large enough to accommodate large cats and a multi-cat household.
It is equipped with a filtered vent system that controls dust and smelly odors.
Your visitors won’t even tell that you have a litter box in the room, as long as your cat doesn’t give it away.
· The cat litter box furniture is designed to camouflage into the environment as part of the house décor.
· The filtered vent system ensures that odors and dust are kept at bay and that your house smells fresh all day long.
· The litter box enclosure is made from durable polypropylene that’s designed into a beautiful clay pot.
· The large capacity pot can accommodate your fat cat or even two small cats.
o Product Dimensions: 19 x 19 x 20 inches
o Shipping Weight: 6 pounds
Cons of Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter:
· May not be ideal for large cats as they may not fit comfortably
· Difficult to put back together after changing the litter.
· You can’t take out the plastic flower and replace with a real one since there’s no soil system beneath.
· Your cat may destroy the flower and it isn’t possible to place an order for the flower alone.
2. New Age Pet ecoFLEX Litter Loo and End Table
The New Age Pet ecoFLEX Litter Loo and End Table is an ideal litter box furniture. It double up as a real end table and also houses a litter box inside it.
It is a beautiful looking table that doesn’t crack or split.
It’s made from an eco-friendly, recycled material that doesn’t absorb moisture. This means that any urine spills won’t be absorbed and you can easily wipe it off.
· It doubles as a real functional real end table and a cat litter box all in one amazing looking design. How good can it get!
· It’s made from recycled material that is eco-friendly and non-toxic. This keeps our environment pollution-free.
· The table material doesn’t absorb any moisture. This ensures no leaky smells happen and spills are easy to wipe away.
· It is resistant to warping, cracking and splitting, hence durable.
o Product Dimensions: 23.6 x 18.5 x 22 inches
o Weighs: 21.5 pounds
Cons of New Age Pet ecoFLEX Litter Loo and End Table:
· The quality of plastic that makes them is not very high quality
· Cat urine tends to get inside the hidden litter box and leak to the floor of the box.
· The door doesn’t hold together strongly
3. Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench Decorative Litter Box Cover and Storage
The Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench Decorative Litter Box Cover and Storage is multifunctional. It’s used as a litter box cover, accent table and roomy storage unit.
It’s designed to even accommodate extra-large litter boxes.
It comes with magnetized doors that open wide for easy access.
It also has pre-cut holes in the back for electronic litter box cables.
It also has a removable partition wall that you can use to keep cat essentials.
You can have the entrance to the cat litter box furniture on either side of the bench. This is based on the design of your room, for easy access by your kitty.
· It comes available in elegant white and walnut stains to match the theme in your house.
· It is multipurpose functioning as a litter box cover, kitty washroom, bench style accent table, and roomy storage unit.
· It is designed to accommodate any size and shape of litter boxes. This includes extra-large automatic litter boxes. It even has pre-cut holes for electric cables. Your litter box of choice will fit perfectly.
o Product Dimensions: 21.3 x 37.4 x 22.6 inches
o It weighs: 57.4 pounds
· It hides all the litter messes from sight.
· Doesn’t absorb urine spills since the wood is sealed and nonporous so it will not absorb the smell.
Cons of Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench Decorative Litter Box Cover and Storage:
· It’s not easy to assemble the cat’s litter box.
· Some cats may still track litter onto the floor.
· The quality of plastic that makes them is not very high quality
· The wood absorbs the smell after prolonged usage.
4. Merry Products Washroom Night Stand Multifunctional Litter Pan Cover
The Merry Products Washroom Night Stand Multifunctional Litter Tray Cover is a stylish discreet litter box and kitty washroom.
It’s made from natural wood grain, fiberboard cabinet style, wainscoting paneling and stainless steel hardware.
It can be a nightstand, end table or coffee table and a litter box cover, sleeping or play area for any small pet.
It’s perfect for magazines, potted plants, lamps, coasters and drinking cups or glasses. You can place your cat’s litter box inside and hide it away from sight.
Adding a pet bed inside will transform it into a sleeping area.
· All hardware necessary to assemble, and optional towel hanger.
· Requires a screwdriver, which is not included.
· It is multi-purpose and used as a kitty litter tray cover, nightstand bed for cats and dogs, and a stylish coffee table.
o Product Dimensions: 18.5 x 19.7 x 25 inches
o It weight: 21.4 pounds
· You can transform it into an amazing sleeping area by adding your pet’s favorite comfy bed.
· It is made of quality solid wood, MDF and metal hinges, hence durable for long time use.
· The furniture is easy to assemble and keep tidy with stainless steel hardware. The magnetized door opens wide and is easy to clean.
Cons of Merry Products Washroom Night Stand Multifunctional Litter Pan Cover:
· The product may begin coming apart after a few months of use.
· Only works well with specific litter boxes due to size limitations.
· It is not odor resistant especially if your cat experiences a urine accident and it leaks onto the base.
5. Trixie Wooden Cat Home and Litter Box Cover:
This Trixie Wooden Cat Home and Litter Box Cover doubles as an elegant cat hideaway and a litter box cover as well.
It blends beautifully into your home.
On one side, it has a large window to allow access to your cat and a wider door to enable you to easily change the litter. It is easy to clean.
The top has an elegant veneer and acts as a perfect counter space for your cat items and art.
It’s available in white and brown and you can pick what goes best with your house décor.
· Doubles as an indoor pet house or cat litter box cover.
The easy-to-open door allows you to have a quick and easy cleanup.
· It can be stationed in the bathroom or bedroom and used double up as shelf space for your art gallery or home décor.
· The large window allows your cat to have easy access in and out of the litter box enclosure. This minimizes accidents outside the hidden litter box.
· The ventilation holes in the back panel provide excellent air circulation. This keeps your house smelling fresh.
· It is suitable for most standard size litter boxes or small pet beds
Cons of Trixie Wooden Cat Home and Litter Box Cover:
· The quality of the furniture box may not be durable.
· The cat’s litter box may smell of pee after continued use over a long time.
The Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter takes the crown for the litter box furniture of choice.
93% of the cat owners who have bought it are satisfied and recommend it to you!