If you own a cat, then you know how stinky the litter box can be. We all know that the kitty litter box can wreak havoc on the air quality in a home.
A lot of cat owners don’t know what to do about the lingering litter box odor.
When it comes to making your cat’s litter box smell fresher and cleaner, there are several ways to go about it.
The best way is to eliminate the odor at its source by scooping and cleaning the litter box itself.
So what happens when you’ve done all that but there’s still a lingering scent that you want to eliminate?
It has been my experience that it takes more than a good quality litter and a clean box to get rid of the unwanted smells from our feline friends.
That’s why I’m so passionate about helping people find the best solution for their smell problems.
Fortunately, there are ways to reduce the litter box odor that may occur from having a cat. One of those is by using the best air fresheners for cats.
When it comes to the daily operation of a cat, it can be hard to keep things clean.
Whether it’s hair on the floor or the annoying litter box odor, it can take a toll on you especially when you are busy doing life.
Keeping your home smelling fresh and clean is a must though.
And this is where the cat litter air freshener comes in to make life easier.
There are tons of different ones out there, so I am here to help you find the perfect one for you and your cat.
Cats can be very particular about their litter boxes, so choosing the best air freshener for cat litter to help eliminate any odor coming from their litter boxes is very important.
Air fresheners for the litter box might seem simple, but there are many factors to consider when purchasing one.
We’ve researched and hand-picked the best litter box air fresheners from different brands to get you started.
I’ve rounded up what I believe are the best 11 options available on the market today, and will review them in this post to help you decide which one is best for your space.
What are Litter Box Air Fresheners?
Litter box air fresheners are products that remove the smell of urine and feces from your home.
They effectively neutralize the stench and keep it from lingering in the room where your cat does its business.
This cat litter air freshener may come in a spray bottle, a plug-in device, or even a battery-powered fan.
The best air fresheners for cat litter help to reduce litter box odors in your home.
Air fresheners for cats improve the overall quality of your cat’s life.
The Best Cat Litter Deodorizers
1. Non-Scents Cat Litter Deodorizer
Non-scents cat litter deodorizer is a highly rated cat litter air freshener with great reviews.
It contains a unique natural Zeolite formula that has proven to be the best in eliminating odor.
This natural deodorizer for cats boxes has an advanced patented coating to make the product safe for both you and your cat.
The cat litter deodorizer is free from any additives and can be used in any litter without making your feline uncomfortable.
It’s easy to apply the product; all you need to do is to sprinkle a layer of the room deodorizer for the cat litter box evenly over your cats’ litter.
- The product has an immediate effect on odors, and it lasts long.
- For those who love the smell of bleach, you will love this product’s scent.
- This cat litter odor neutralizer extends the life of your litter, saving you some money.
- It’s dusty and has a drying effect that chocks when you inhale it accidentally.
- The texture of the product can affect how your cat covers waste litter.
2. Moso Natural Air Purifying Bags
Moso bag is an organic air freshener perfect for battling the litter box odor.
This is one of the best deodorizing cat litter products available.
The cat air freshener only comprises one ingredient that is bamboo charcoal.
It’s a pet-safe air freshener, fragrance-free, and free from any chemicals.
The room deodorizer for the cat litter box comes in a set of three, each covering about 90 square feet.
The best thing about this product is that it lasts for almost two years.
All you need to do is rejuvenate it after every month by placing it outside in the sun.
- The cat litter room deodorizer does not mask the smell; instead, it eliminates it.
- It is chemical-free and lasts for two years.
- The cat litter room deodorizer is easy to use, and it doesn’t take much space.
- This cat litter odor eliminator takes a long time to make a difference.
3. Rocca And Roxie Professional Strength and Odor Eliminator
This is one of the best products if you want to eliminate odor in a particular spot.
It can tackle stains and odors present on carpets, hardwood floors, tile, laundry, and upholstery.
The cat litter odor neutralizer is the best air freshener for cat urine thanks to the incorporation of enzymatic bacteria.
The bacteria eradicate the foul scent by feeding on the ammonia and organic matter present in your cat’s waste.
The deodorizer is chlorine-free making it a safe product to use around your feline and children.
- It has a strong aroma that works best to eliminate odors.
- The cat litter room deodorizer can remove the odor and stains of old cat urine.
- For the litter fresh deodorizer to work effectively, you need to apply it more than once.
- It may leave residues behind when applied to colored carpets or hardwood floors.
4. Mooka Purifier 3-In-1 True HEPA Filter Air Cleaner
Mooka air purifier will bring lots of great things to your home’s air space.
Not only is the air purifier product great for eliminating odors, but it also helps to filter hair, dust, pollen, and pet dander.
It contains three stages filtration system with 360⁰ air intake and discharges for maximum fresh and healthy air.
The simple design of the Mooka air purifier makes it easy to operate.
With a simple push of a button, you can turn it on or off. It also contains two fan levels that allow you to control the speed of the fan of the air purifiers.
- With only a couple of hours running, it leaves your room smelling fresh.
- The machine is easy to operate and doesn’t take too much space.
- One of the best odor eliminators for cats available
- At high settings, the air purifier may make unusual noises that may be disturbing.
- In case you drop the air purifier product, it can get destroyed.
- It contains a night light that can be very bright at night if you hate light while sleeping.
5. Pet House Candle
This natural, high-quality air freshener can do wonders when it comes to eliminating odors.
It’s a great litter box odor eliminator.
It comes in 20 different fragrances that add a wonderful aroma to your home.
The main ingredients of pet house candles include 100% natural soy wax and 100% cotton wick.
Pet house candle is free from paraffin, phthalates, parabens, dye, and formaldehyde, making it a pet-safe air freshener for your kitty and the environment.
For fresh air, you should light the candle in the affected rooms.
The odor neutralizer will work its magic, leaving the room smelling fresh and fabulous.
- The candles smell lovely and are excellent in eliminating odor.
- After a few hours of burning time, it will get rid of your feline’s waste odor.
- Some fragrances may not be appealing.
- If your pet knocks over the candle, it can lead to a fire.
6. Fresh Wave Odor Eliminator Spray and Air Freshener
If you want to eliminate odor instantly, this cat odor eliminator is for you.
It’s included with plant-based ingredients such as lime, pine needle, anise, clove, and cedarwood.
When you spray the deodorizer, it smells naturally like these plants, and the scent disappears quickly, leaving the room smelling fresh.
It has an outstanding result when you use it to eliminate odors from the litter boxes.
The cat freshener is safe, thanks to its natural ingredients that are free from harsh chemicals and masking fragrances.
It is fragrance-free.
It’s also biodegradable, and the packaging is recyclable to protect our environment.
You can simply use the air freshener by spraying it around your cat’s litter box.
- It eliminates odor in the room, leaving the air quality clean and fresh.
- The product doesn’t contain any toxic and dangerous ingredients.
- The scent disappears quickly and doesn’t work properly on fabric odors.
- The packaging of the spray should be improved.
7. Citrus Magic Solid Air Freshener
The air freshener is known to be the safest room deodorizer for the cat litter box.
It’s a naturally based product with no harsh chemicals; hence, it’s safe to use around your feline.
The product is a long-lasting odor absorbing air freshener that eliminates any foul smell without masking it.
It has a unique dual-action formula that uses vegetable-based odors eliminators and baking soda in cat litter to freshen the air.
The formula in the deodorizer makes the air freshener last for about six weeks.
On top of that, there are various scents to choose from, and it comes in a pack of six.
- It does not mask the odor in the air; instead, it eliminates the bad smell permanently.
- This air freshener for cats is long-lasting.
- No hazardous chemicals are present, making it a safe product to use around you and your cat.
- You can choose the aroma you want from the variety of available scents.
- The smell of the product can be overwhelming
- It takes time to notice its work
8. Smells Begone Air Freshener Odor Absorber Gel
Get yourself smell begone air freshener; you will love the results.
For about 60-90 days, it will absorb and eliminate any odor leaving the room with a light and pleasant fragrance.
It is one of the best air fresheners for cats.
The product is natural and is formulated with a high-quality essential oil-based fragrance. It’s also free from any toxins and antigens.
It’s easy to use smell begone air freshener. Just get rid of the interior lining, screw the cap back, and then place the jar where you want to enjoy the fresh air.
For maximum absorption of odor, you should set the jar in a well-ventilated area.
- The air freshener was designed to last long
- It does not contain an overwhelming smell
- It is safe to use the product around your pets and children
- It takes time to eradicate the unpleasant smells in a room
- The lid can become sticky after removing the vent sticker
- Not fragrance-free
9. Hamilton Beach True Air Plug-Mount Odor Eliminator
Hamilton plug mount is one of the best air fresheners for cat litter that you need to try.
This bad boy is perfect for eliminating the unwanted smell coming from your cat’s litter box.
It’s an air plug mount with a replaceable carbon filter that traps and neutralizes pet odor.
The air purifier is included with a fan that sucks in air for purification and then sends back fresh air to the room.
The deodorizer has scented cartridges that offer a light, fresh scent to eliminate unpleasant litter odors.
It also contains a filter replacements indicator that lets you know if the air filters need to be changed.
You will find it easy to operate this product. It includes a switch that allows you to turn the plug mount on or off.
Plus, the air freshener will provide fresh air for up to 3 months.
- The product Eliminates litter box odors from your home.
- It is easy to use the air plug mount.
- It will provide you with fresh air for three months.
- The air filters need replacements after some time
- This cat odor eliminator doesn’t give off much smell to your home.
10. Air Wick Plug-In Scented Oil Starter Kit
One of the key litter box deodorizers is the air wick plug-in scented oil starter kit.
It contains different scents that you can diffuse to get rid of the litter box odor in your home.
The litter box deodorizers come with two warmers and six refill packs that provide your home with a welcoming fragrance.
On a low setting, the air freshener can last up to 270 days.
The main ingredient of the oil refills is 100% natural essential oil for a beautiful fragrance experience.
It’s simple to use the air freshener; it only requires a standard plug-in to start working.
The design of the product is appealing to the eye and can fit in your home décor.
- There are five different fragrance settings that you can enjoy.
- The oil refills of the deodorizer are made from natural safe essential oils.
- It is a long-lasting product.
- The fresh scent does not smell for very long.
- It only works great in small rooms.
- Not fragrance-free
11. Arm and Hammer Double Duty Cat Litter Deodorizer
This is one of a kind cat litter deodorizer. It uses unique technology to eliminate cat odors.
When your cat uses the litter, the ingredients activate immediately, ensuring that it tackles both the new and the old odors.
The product contains baking soda for absorbency and can be used in any type of litter.
The deodorizer for the cat’s litter box ensures no clumping, and the cat’s feces don’t stick on the litter box floor.
It’s easy to apply the product, make solid sprinkles on your cat’s litter and let it do its job.
The product’s opening is big enough for you to easily measure the amount you are putting in the litter boxes.
- The product is excellent at eliminating pet odor.
- It is easy to apply the deodorizer.
- It doesn’t last long.
- The scent from the deodorizer is overpowering.
Factors to consider while buying an Air Freshener Safe for Cats
Here is a list of factors that you should keep in mind while purchasing an air freshener:
Various brands have launched a wide variety of air fresheners in the market, which means a vast range of prices. You can look at the prices and then choose the one that suits your budget.
There are many ingredients used in different pet air fresheners. Some might not be suitable for cats or might hurt your cat’s respiratory system. So, check the ingredients list thoroughly so that you purchase an air freshener that does not harm your cat in any way.
3. Essential oil:
Most essential oils are toxic to cats, and thus you should avoid using any product that has toxic essential oils in it.
Instead of using such products, look for other options like baking soda for cat litter or less harmful charcoal filters.
There is no better way to understand what a pet air freshener product is like than reading reviews about it. People have tried these products already, lived with them, and then written about their experiences. The best pet odor air freshener products should have 5-star reviews. So, make sure you read through the reviews we have written just for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I put an air freshener near the litter box?
No, you can’t put an air freshener near the litter box.
The ammonia in cat urine can react with certain chemicals in these products to create a gas that is toxic to cats.
It’s best to use a litter box deodorizer that is specifically made for cats.
Litter box deodorizers made of natural ingredients such as baking soda, safe essential oils, and herbs are ideal.
They’re safer than air fresheners because they don’t contain chemicals that could potentially harm your cat or make you sick.
Baking soda is especially good for absorbing odors in litter boxes.
Coffee grounds are another great option for neutralizing unpleasant smells.
What air fresheners are safe for cats?
Air fresheners are a popular product used in the home and cars, but they may not be safe to use around cats.
Before purchasing an air freshener, it’s important to read the label and research the ingredients before using it.
Avoid those that contain these ingredients:
- Ethanol and methanol are often used as preservatives in air fresheners. Even small amounts can lead to severe consequences for cats. Cats lack an essential enzyme needed to break down these chemicals, which can lead to vision loss and even death.
- Propylene glycol is one of the most common active ingredients in air fresheners and antifreeze that’s often ingested accidentally by cats. It breaks down into lactic acid when digested, which can cause red blood cells to burst, leading to a condition known as hemolytic anemia. Symptoms include depression, lethargy, pale gums, and dark or red-colored cat urine.
- Parabens are preservatives used in many household products. Inhaling it in aerosol form can cause severe respiratory issues for cats.
- Many air fresheners contain phthalates, which can cause kidney and liver damage.
Is litter deodorizer safe for cats?
A litter deodorizer is safe for cats.
The best litter deodorizers are chemical-free and made of baking soda, bicarbonate of soda, and safe essential oils.
They can be safely used around cats when they are in the litter box.
In general, most cat owners will find that the cat litter box deodorizer does work for controlling pet odors and keeping the litter box fresh smelling for their cat.
How do I keep the litter box from smelling in my house?
If you want to know how to keep your house from smelling like cats and litter boxes:
- Scoop at least twice a day
- Consider adding a second litter box
- Use a covered litter box
- Use a clumping type of litter, because it’s easier to clean than clay-based litter.
- Add baking soda to the bottom of the pan; this will help absorb some nasty smells
- The litter box area should be well-ventilated.
- Wash the entire box once every two weeks
You should always find the best air fresher for your home, even if it’s a homemade pet safe air freshener.
Nobody should lie to you that you can’t be a cat parent and stay in a fresh-smelling home at the same time.
The one thing you need to do is get a deodorizer that will favor both you and your furry friend.
In summary, when looking for the best litter box air freshener, there are a few things you should consider:
- It should be safe for your cat
- It should mask any unpleasant pet odors
- It should effectively neutralize any lingering smells as well as reduce bacteria growth.
Your choice of air freshener will ultimately depend on your needs as a cat parent, so don’t settle for anything less than what’s ideal. Happy hunting!
We hope this guide has helped you get started on choosing the best air freshener for cat litter.
If you want to make your cat’s litter box smell better, you can buy an air freshener for your litter box.
There are a lot of options that you can choose from, but we’ve highlighted what we believe to be the best ones.
If you have tried everything to make your house smell nice but those pesky litter box odors just won’t go away, then Non-Scents Cat Litter Deodorizer is the next best thing.
This product effectively obliterates smelly litter box pet odors. It is the best there is right now and the great thing is that it works!