Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The Best disposable litter box is Nature’s Miracle Jumbo Disposable Cat Litter Box.
Disposable litter box? I know. My cat was as shocked as you are to hear of such a thing.
If you’re looking for the best throw-away box to suit the needs of your feline companion, you’re in the right place.
We’ve researched several varieties and aren’t afraid to tell you how we feel about them.
People have to have someplace to put their cats’ boxes. But what about when you’re traveling or just for the day? What do you do with your cat’s litter box then?
A lot of people use standard boxes, but those are hard to keep clean and they aren’t very portable.
There is a better option that allows you to take the litter box with you wherever you go. All it takes is a few minutes to set up and some common household supplies.
Not only can you use it in your own home or apartment, but also in a hotel or RV. You can take it anywhere!
As cat owners, we want what’s best for our fluffy companions. Disposable litter trays are the perfect solution for those of us who travel a lot or have sudden guests pop by.
The best disposable tray is the one that fits your needs, both practically and financially. It’s also important to think about how much you are willing to spend as well as what you would prefer to carry around.
Finding the best disposable trays is a difficult task especially when it comes to quality, prices, and customer service.
You are in luck though, for we have filtered out the junk and selected the 5 best disposable litter trays for you.
This blog focuses on throw away litter boxes that you don’t have to wash. Boxes whose only maintenance is disposing of when they get full.
So you can spend your time cuddling with your feline friends instead of cleaning out the litter and scrubbing litter and urine off their paws.
The Best Disposable Litter Box Top Picks
If you are pressed for time, here are the top 5 picks for the best disposable cat litter boxes that I recommend for your feline friends:
1. Nature’s Miracle Jumbo Disposable Cat Litter Box
2. Cat’s Pride Kat Kit Litter Trays
3. Kitty’s WonderBox Disposable Litter Box
4. LitterMaid Disposable Cat Litter Box
5. Litter One Biodegradable Disposable Cat Litter Box Kit
What is a disposable cat litter box for travel?
This is a disposable box, usually made of waxed or crimped cardboard or plastic, which is recyclable, that serves as a home for your cat’s litter.
The idea behind disposable litter boxes is that they’re easier to clean than traditional boxes.
Most are lined with an inner bag, and there are holes in the box to allow the litter to sift through. The bag prevents the litter from spilling or becoming stained, and it can be easily disposed of when it’s time to replace it.
You simply have to remove the bag of dirty litter and throw everything away, replacing it shortly with another. No more scrubbing or scraping!
Who needs a disposable litter tray?
Disposable boxes were designed for people who travel frequently with their cats or move from place to place often. These owners wanted something lightweight and easy to transport; something that didn’t need to be cleaned or maintained for an extended period.
They are especially useful:
- At feline shows
- For traveling
- For cats who are sick for a brief span. Cat owners use them in a multiple-cat household, where you don’t want to risk spreading any sickness.
After the journey, or when the cat’s wellbeing has improved, you simply discard the cat box litter.
The Best Disposable Boxes
1. Nature’s Miracle Jumbo Disposable Cat Litter Box 2 Pack
This package comes with two large Nature’s Miracle Disposable Litter Boxes.
- The jumbo size is incredible for accommodating your large cats. Great for multi-cat households as well.
- The baking soda provides extra protection against smelly odors and urine ammonia. The baking soda ensures that your kitty doesn’t suffer and your nostrils are spared too while you are on the road.
- The disposable litter boxes give you an easy and stress-free way to travel with your cats.
- Made from biodegradable eco-friendly recycled paper material. This allows you to conveniently dispose of it off while taking care of the environment.
- Comes with two of the best disposable litter boxes that are adequate for you. They are useful in case you are making a long trip or spending extra days on your travel plans.
- The Miracle box doesn’t shred nor leak, so it is messy-free.
- It is suitable for use with any type of litter that your kitty is used to.
Directions for use:
- Simply fill the litter box with 2-3 inches of your cat’s favorite litter.
- Remember to scoop the box every single day and replace the litter to the original litter depth. This will keep the freshness and ensure great odor control. . Sprinkle the baking soda in the disposable tray.
- You can use the cat litter boxes for up to 4 weeks after which you should dispose of them.
- You don’t need to clean and scrub this litter box.
- Clean your hands every time you handle the litter box.
- If you have cats that urinate frequently and heavily, it may not last until four weeks are over. This is because leaks may begin to appear.
- Compared to your regular litter pan, they are more difficult to scoop. It’s common especially after the coating has worn off.
- The sides of the disposable trays are not smooth and can be irritating when trying to scrape clumps away from the sides. This is especially if your kitty chooses to aim right at the side.
96% of the cat owners who’ve bought this litter box are impressed and give it a 5-star rating!
2. Cat’s Pride Kat Kit Litter Trays, Case of 5
These disposable touch-free plastic litter trays are made from 100% recycled plastic soda bottles. They come in a case of 5.
Dispose of one litter tray after 7-10 of use by one kitty, and after 5 days of use by two cats.
Each portable tray is pre-filled with 3 pounds of Cat’s Pride Fresh & Clean litter. This is a fresh-scented clay litter with natural sponge-like minerals. Has great odor control.
This clumping litter doesn’t track and is low in dust.
- The Cat’s Pride Fresh & Clean litter doesn’t track, is low in dust, and has great odor control.
- These disposable litter boxes are easy to use, convenient, and environmentally friendly when disposed of.
- Comes equipped with free clumping litter that saves you the extra cost to buy litter.
- The trays are fragile and can get damaged during transportation.
- They are a bit pricey
- The sides need to be higher, especially for cats that are aggressive diggers.
84% of the pet owners who bought these disposable trays loved and recommended them.
3. Kitty’s WonderBox Disposable Litter Box
Daily scooping of the disposable litter box is important to ensure that the box remains odor-free. Replenish with fresh litter and allow your kitty to continue using the litter box until it is time to dispose of it.
- The WonderBox is durable and 100% leak-proof for use for up to one month.
- It is disposable since it’s made of recycled paper fibers.
- It’s non-toxic and environmentally friendly.
- Has great odor control since the air filtration system controls litter box odors. The paper’s pH helps neutralize the ammonia odor and keep the air fresh.
- It is specially designed to be claw-proof so that it doesn’t tear the disposable litter box. This avoids the accumulation of urine that can cause smelly odors.
- It works well with any type of cat litter, hence hassle-free.
Cons of Kitty’s WonderBox Disposable Litter Box:
- Clay cat litter tends to stick to the paper at the bottom especially if your cat urinates a lot. This will cause a bad odor.
- If your cat is a vigorous scratcher, you will find pieces of paper all over your litter which can be annoying.
- Can be shallow for some large cats and they end up peeing outside the litter box.
96% of the cat owners who bought this disposable litter box were impressed by it and recommended it.
4. LitterMaid Disposable Cat Litter Box, 3 Count
After two weeks or as needed, replace with a new Littermaid Disposable Litter Box. This gives you maximum odor control.
This ensures that your cat has a fresh litter box every single time.
It doubles as a litter box and a litter box liner.
- It is disposable and is replaced as soon as it is necessary. This one-step clean process keeps the air and litter fresh all day long.
- It offers a 2 in 1 solution, whereby you use the litter box as a standalone box or as a litter pan liner for your current cat litter box.
- The box is made of recycled paper, and it is leak-proof and tear-proof. This ensures no mess and leaks occur.
- It can be used conveniently with your preferred cat litter.
- They may be a small fitting for your large cats.
- The walls are shallow. If your cat aims high when urinating, it will end up spilling urine on the outside of the litter box.
90% of the cat lovers who’ve purchased this disposable box love it, and recommend it to you.
5. Litter One Biodegradable Disposable Cat Litter Box Kit
- Lasts anywhere between 4-6 weeks then you can throw it away.
- It’s eco-friendly
- This kit comes with a biodegradable litter box, scoop, pine pellet litter, and 30 scented waste bags.
- It’s biodegradable and recyclable. Safe for the environment.
- Doesn’t track
- Great odor control: Pellets neutralize the urine odor and change into easily sifted sawdust.
- Your cat might reject the litter
- May not last more than a week in multi-cat households
Features of a disposable kitty litter box
These are a set of features you should consider before getting the best disposable cat litter box:
- Compact, collapsible, and packable to fit in your car.
- The best disposable litter boxes should be acceptable to your cat.
- The disposable cat litter boxes are usually smaller than the standard cat litter box and come in multiple sizes, shapes, and designs.
- Made of biodegradable and recyclable materials
- The best disposable litter boxes are self-contained, compact, and can be repacked.
- Usually, they have a short lifespan due to assembling and reassembling.
- The disposable cat litter boxes need little care and are simply acquired for use in a journey or short travel span.
- They are necessary for making the journey cozier for you and your cat. Some come with a zipper cover which ensures you store the cat litter while on the road.
Benefits of a disposable travel litter box
- They are dirt cheap
- Great odor control
- Convenient for traveling
- Saves time by not cleaning the cat litter box
- Highly convenient and portable. They’re light, so it’s easier to carry one every time you have to change the litter.
- Disposable litter boxes are easy to set up. If you’ve ever fought with a traditional litter box that just won’t stay together, you’ll appreciate the instant gratification of a disposable box.
Disadvantages of disposable litter boxes for travel:
- Usually smaller in size
- Most are made of cardboard and may leak after several visits by your cat or multiple cats. Unsuitable for multi-cat households.
- Some may be for a single time use
How to pick the best disposable litter box
When choosing disposable litter trays for your kitty, you must consider several factors. I’ve researched to make this possible for you.
1. Size and portability of the cat litter box:
You want one that’s easily portable and fits in your car.
The general rule of a litter box size is that it should be about 1.5 to twice the size of your cat. Portable litter boxes are usually smaller than the standard litter box. Go for a foldable one that is most suitable for your cat.
2. Purpose and type of the kitty box:
Why do you want a disposable kitty box? The answer to this question will help you to narrow down exactly what is the best pick.
Disposable litter boxes are great if you are making a time travel. After which, you dispose of it or use it for emergencies and house training a new cat.
A closed or open one depends on your preference and its acceptability by your cat.
A multi-use fabric portable cat litter box is ideal for frequent travelers. You can clean it and use it many times.
They also work well as temporary cat beds.
Also, they make an excellent choice for your cat carrier during air travels.
3. The construction materials of the litter box
The quality of the material making the litter box is central in determining what to pick. The lighter the material, the less durable the litter box will be.
The plastic liners should be waterproof and scratch-proof. They should withstand clawing by the cats.
The litter boxes are usually made from recycled cardboard, that’s fully biodegradable and eco-friendly.
How long does a disposable litter box last?
As long as it’s used according to the instructions, it may last for several days up to to a few weeks.
The average cat uses the litter box 2-3 times per day, so if we assume 3 times per day, a litter box will last about 10 days.
However, it’s hard to say how long a disposable litter box will last before it starts to deteriorate and fall apart due to several factors.
- If you use the litter box more than once a day, it probably won’t last as long as if you use it once per day.
- If you have multiple large cats, then your litter box probably won’t last as long as if you only had one cat.
- If you only have one cat, but your cat tends to pee in large amounts or use the litter box multiple times during the night, then your litter box may not last as long.
- The type of cat litter you are using.
- Frequency of cleaning
Are disposable litter boxes worth it?
Disposable litter boxes are worth it!
For the average cat, a disposable litter box can last anywhere between 7 to 10 days. If you use clumping litter, you won’t have to replace your box until the litter itself is empty.
Most of these boxes are typically made of recycled materials and are biodegradable, so they’re safe for the environment.
A disposable litter box is also very convenient. They’re easy to set up and takedown. You can throw them away when they’re full or dirty, making maintenance as easy as tossing them in the trash can.
If you’re traveling somewhere with your pet, these boxes can be used for temporary use or for outdoor cats who may not want to come into your home.
If you have multiple cats and don’t want to scoop out their waste every day, a disposable litter box can be useful as well. The larger ones hold more than one cat’s worth of waste, so you won’t have to worry about changing it out every day or two if your kitties like using the same space together.
A disposable litter box can also save you time and energy if you have a busy schedule or are traveling often with your pet. You won’t have to worry about cleaning up after your cat’s mess
So yes, disposable litter boxes are worth it.
How do you use a disposable litter box?
It’s pretty simple.
- First, you’ll want to open up the box and remove the liner. This liner is meant to make things easier for you by catching all of the used litter.
- Add litter inside the box using a scoop or funnel (depending on the brand litter types). The amount of litter you need will vary depending on your cat’s size, age, and activity level – aim for between 1″ and 3″ deep across the entire surface area of the box.
- Place the disposable litter box on the floor or a flat surface. Make sure there’s plenty of room around it to accommodate your cat and their movements.
- Once everything is set up, let your cat explore its new temporary home!
- Use a scooper to remove waste clumps as they form, then dispose of them in an appropriate receptacle such as an outside garbage bin
Ps: Make sure they know where the cat food and water are located so that they don’t get confused with all these changes happening around them.
You might find that after a few days of using this type of litter system your kitty goes back to using their old spot again; just give them more time to adjust before making any big decisions about where their permanent potty should be located inside or outside of your house.
How do you make a temporary litter box?
- First of all, you need an empty plastic container that is just the right size for your cat.
- It should have high enough sides to hold the litter and not allow it to spill out of the box. If you don’t have one that’s big enough, you can use a small cardboard box or even a plastic grocery bag instead.
- You will want to place something inside it so that the litter is not directly on your floor. You can use old newspapers, paper towels, or even a plastic garbage bag.
- Next, add litter inside the container. If you are using a grocery bag, put some kind of absorbent material on top of it before putting it in the litter so that you don’t get any leaks from the bottom of the bag when your cat urinates or defecates inside it. You can also use old newspapers, paper towels, or anything else that will absorb any liquid that comes out of your cat’s waste products.
- Make sure to put enough litter in so that it covers all four sides of the container and is at least three inches deep on each side. This is important because cats love digging through their poop.
This can also qualify as a DIY disposable litter box.
Throw away litter boxes are a great way to reduce the amount of time you spend cleaning. They can also be very useful during holidays when you have pets visiting.
The best disposable litter boxes, however, are ultimately the ones that fit your needs and expectations.
There are a few things to consider, and we’ve spelled out many of them here, including reliability and size, price, functionality, maintenance requirements, etc.
The perfect one that we recommend is the Nature’s Miracle Jumbo Disposable Cat Litter Box.
It has a 5-star rating for its performance.
So, when are you taking out your cat for the next travel with your newly found disposable box?