Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The Best Dog-Proof Litter Box is the Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box.
When we first got our dog, I made the rookie mistake of letting her out the door. Within seconds she found the cat litter box and snuck in for a poop treat. Gross! I know.
I had no idea how to keep her away from it, and it was a big enough litter box that she could even get inside.
I was desperate to keep my dog out of the cat box.
In our household, this meant that we had to be creative when it came to the cat litter boxes. By using a combination of high walls, adding latches and keepers, we were able to make them more dogproof.
This went on for a while until I discovered the dog-proof cat litter box.
Dog-proof cat litter boxes are the best invention for pet owners who want to keep their dogs away from the cat’s bathroom.
The best dog-proof litter boxes can be a hassle to find, but they’re a necessity if you want your dog to stop snacking where it shouldn’t.
I have carefully and consciously reviewed the top 5 best dog-proof litter boxes. These dog-proof litter boxes are robust and designed as an anti-dog litter box.
If you have dogs and cats, then you know that it’s not always possible to keep the dog out of the cat’s litter box—especially if you have a multi-pet family.
Dogs just love to dig in and scatter litter everywhere.
The risk of infection from eating cat’s waste is ever-present.
If you don’t address it, you’ll accumulate bills at the veterinarian and even risk losing your dog.
All manner of gastrointestinal tract issues in your lovely dog can crop up quickly. Helminths such as tapeworms, viruses, and bacteria are a potential threat.
Don’t beat yourself up, you’re not the only one who’s ever made this mistake!
Here you will find out how to choose the best dog-proof litter box for your pet, and what litter box features you should look for.
There are fakes out here that will leave you a few dollars less and frustrated.
I have gone the extra mile to eliminate the fakes and highlight the original brands from the most verified and authentic outlets.
After you have read through this review, you will be able to settle on your preferred option for your home.
“Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen.”Orhan Pamuk
Dog Proof Litter Boxes Top Picks
If you are pressed for time, here are the top 5 picks of dog proof cat litter boxes that I recommend for your home:
- Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box
- Petmate Top Entry Litter Box
- Petmate Booda Dome Clean Step Cat Litter Box
- Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench Decorative Litter Box Cover and Storage
- Catit Jumbo hooded cat litter pan
Factors to Consider Before Buying A Dog Proof Litter Box
1. Size of the dog:
A litter box that can’t accommodate your dog is better than one where your dog can hop in and have a feast meal.
It is important to keep this in mind before purchasing because it can make a big difference.
2. Litter Box Type:
Dog-proof litter boxes range from top entry to front entry litter boxes and vary in size.
This means that you can choose one to suit your needs depending on what type of space you have indoors or outdoors.
3. Ease of Cleaning:
If it becomes hard for you to clean the dog-proof litter box, it will become smelly over time and turn your house into a foul-smelling habitation. Get one that’s easy to access inside.
4. Cost of the Dog Proof Litter Box:
It is important to think about cost when looking at dog-proof litter boxes because they can vary in prices from premium boxes to budget boxes to low-budget cat litter boxes.
5. Hidden Litter Boxes:
If possible, try to get a hidden litter box because this way they can’t easily access it
“I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.”Edgar Allen Poe
The Best Dog Proof Litter Boxes Buying Guide
1. Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box
Spacious: This innovatively designed dog-proof litter box provides your cat with ample space to handle her business.
Privacy: Your cat gets to enjoy privacy and freedom while eliminating.
Anti-Skid: The dog-proof litter box comes with durable rubber feet to hold it firmly in place on any type of surface. This avoids skidding.
- The entrance at the top of the litter pan is large. This gives your cat enough space to move around and jump in and out easily.
- The box comes with a litter scoop which saves you on extra expenses. You can hang the scoop on the inside of the box for quick access.
- The top lid contains grooves that brush the cat’s paws clean as they enter and exit the box. This avoids your cat from tracking litter in the house.
- The top entry design will prevent litter scatter.
- The rubber feet prevent skidding on slippery floors. They ensure your cat can enter and exit comfortably without knocking the box over.
- The inner surface is smooth with round corners making it easy to keep the litter box clean.
- If your cat decides to jump out of the box directly onto the floor, the box cover won’t catch any litter from her paws. This will cause litter tracking.
- The box doesn’t have a handle hence moving it from one place to another may not be a smooth process.
- If your cat is overweight and huge, the top lid may not support her weight comfortably without caving in.
Is the top lid removable?
Yes, the top lid is removable for easy scooping and cleaning. Push the two big buttons on either side of the box to lift the lid off.
2. Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
Spacious: There is adequate space inside the box for your cat to turn around and dig as she wishes.
Built-in-hook: Also, it comes with an in-built hook for hanging a litter scoop.
Eco-friendly: Made from 95% pre-consumer recyclable materials. It is an eco-friendly option when settling for a dog-proof cat litter box.
- The top entry design will prevent dogs from accessing the litter and digging in. A reliable dog-proof litter box indeed!
- The box comes with high walls that ensure the litter remains intact. Keeps it from spilling over the edges onto your floor.
- The box cover is a non-slip, textured lid that traps litter from your cat’s paws as soon as she jumps out of the box. This reduces the mess you have to deal with and keeps your floor clean.
- The wide top opening gives your cat easy access in and out of the box. There’s adequate space inside the box to turn around and dig as she wishes.
- The built-in handles enable you to easily move the dog-proof litter box while cleaning.
- This box is compatible with litter liners to make cleaning an effortless task for you. Best option box when using litter liners.
Cons of Petmate Top Entry Litter Box:
- The little box hinges on the side are weak and can pull apart.
- Some boxes are difficult to attach from the top to the bottom.
- Your proud and stubborn cat might decide not to use it. Sucks!
3. Petmate Clean Step Litter Dome
The Petmate Booda Dome Clean Step Litter dome is a beauty to behold, with a sleek step design.
Privacy: The hooded top provides excellent privacy for your cat as she relieves herself.
- The in-built ramp is ideal for aged cats, injured cats, or those with mobility issues. They can’t jump in and out easily.
- The box comes equipped with a large charcoal filter to keep smelly odors from escaping the box. This ensures that you are enjoying the freshness in your living space.
- The sleek ramp step design traps litter from your cat’s paws. This will minimize litter tracking and keep your house clean.
- Made in the United States of America, this box has a built-in firm handle that makes storing and moving the litter pan easy.
- The lid snaps back into place keeping dogs out from accessing the litter. It’s a dog-proof litter box that ensures that your dog doesn’t feed on cat waste. How about that for a litter box!
- The dome lid is removable to access the inside during cleaning. This makes the whole cleaning process easy and flawless.
- It requires a different scoop from the normal due to the unique sleek shape of the dog-proof litter box.
- The inside space may be a little bit too fitting for a huge cat. The ramp occupies a big part of the cat’s litter box.
- Some cats get at and chew the charcoal filter, destroying it in the process. It is not in a protected housing hence exposed to damage.
4. Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench Decorative Litter Box Cover and Storage
The Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench Decorative Litter Box Cover and Storage is multifunctional. It’s used as a litter box cover, accent table, and roomy storage unit.
Easy Access: It comes with magnetized doors that open wide for easy access.
- It is designed to accommodate any size and shape of litter boxes. This includes extra-large automatic litter boxes.
- It even has pre-cut holes for electric cables. Your cat’s litter box of choice will fit perfectly.
- It hides all the litter messes from sight.
- Doesn’t absorb urine spills since the wood is sealed and nonporous so it will not absorb the smell.
- Assembling the box takes some effort.
- Some cats may still track litter onto the floor.
- The quality of plastic that makes them is not very high quality
- The wood absorbs the smell after prolonged usage.
5. Catit Jumbo hooded cat litter pan
The Catit Jumbo hooded cat pan is an excellent choice for both you the pet lover, and your lovely cat.
Odor control: You deserve an odor-free house. The Catit Jumbo Hooded cat litter box delivers both of these, seamlessly and effortlessly due to the carbon filter present.
- It is a large litter box, big enough and suitable for a household with multiple cats and larger cats. You are getting two at the price of one!
- It’s fitted with a hooded lift to give you easy access to the litter box when cleaning and scooping. The bag anchor secures the cat’s litter and frees up both of your hands to work comfortably inside the litter box.
- Additionally, the box has an easily removable clear door that gives you a view of the inside. This allows you to watch the box condition effortlessly from the outside.
- It has a built-in bag anchor that ensures the cat litter remains in place and doesn’t spill over.
- The carbon filter available filters the nasty litter box odors. As a result, your house smells fresh and odor-free.
- This product is firm and sturdy, with a built-in handle ideal for carrying the litter box. It comes in handy when cleaning the box.
- The litter pan is high-sided, suitable for your larger cats. Great for those that spray or dig the litter aggressively too.
Cons of the Catit Covered Litter Box:
- Handle the locking mechanism of the lid carefully to avoid weakening it.
- The door flap gets jammed and you may need to apply some pressure to move it. This may keep your cat from using the closed litter box.
- Some aggressive cats may destroy the biodegradable filter.
Buying Guide for a dog resistant cat litter box
Before clicking on the buy button, you need to factor in some considerations:
1. Which litter box design is your cat accustomed to? Top entry litter box, hooded cat litter box, self-cleaning litter boxes, or open pan litter box?
2. Determine the size of the litter box that can accommodate your cat comfortably. Don’t forget to check the entrance door to the litter box too.
3. Consider how large the room where you will house the litter pan is and its general aesthetics.
Strategies for Keeping Your Dog Away From Cat Poop
How do you stop a dog from eating cat poop? It can be difficult to keep your dog away from the litter box, but there are a few strategies that work.
1. Dog Training and Set boundaries:
This is done by teaching the dog that they can’t go beyond a certain area, and if they do then something unpleasant will happen (e.g., loud noise).
2. Fence it out:
Provide a fence around the litter boxes or other cat areas where poop might be left behind as a deterrent. Create a cat door that allows only the cat to access the fenced zone.
This cat door is designed in a manner that allows only the cat to slide in while keeping the dogs out.
3. Use an automatic self-cleaning litter box:
The self-cleaning litter box automatically removes the cat waste a few seconds after it detects that your cat has stepped out of the litter box.
This ensures that your dog won’t find anything to snack on.
4. Use a deterrent spray:
Applying a deterrent spray on the cat litter will keep the dog away from the litter box.
5. Clean up ASAP:
As soon as your cat poops, scoop out the litter box. This will ensure no idle poop is left lying around for your dog to find.
This method only works if you are around the house 24/7.
6. Use a dog proof litter box:
Need I say more?
It’s worth noting that different dogs have their preferences and finding out which one works best on how to stop your dog from eating cat’s waste is often a trial-and-error.
If you are a DIY enthusiast and would like to know how to make a dog proof litter box, here’s how:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why Do Dogs Eat Cat Litter and Cat Poop?
This is a question that many dog owners ask themselves and the answer could just be as simple as a curiosity.
There are several reasons why dogs eat cat litter and a cat’s waste, both of which could be health issues. When a dog eats litter or cat feces, it’s known as coprophagia.
“The two most common reasons for coprophagia are a dietary deficiency and behavioral issues,” says Dr. Jules Benson, Chief Veterinary Officer at Petplan Pet Insurance.
The first is simple: dogs tend to eat almost anything they find, and cat poo can look like a tasty snack.
Ensure that your curious dogs don’t have any nutritional deficiencies that may push them to feed on the cat’s poop in search of nutrients.
Is cat litter toxic to dogs?
Traditional cat litters containing silica are toxic to dogs.
Couple that with the fact that cat urine is composed of ammonia, which is a toxic chemical.
This means that it can irritate the eyes and mucous membranes in dogs as well as give them red, watery eyes.
Always ensure that you scoop the waste as soon as possible to avoid bacteria build-up that could lead to urinary tract infections in your dogs.
Go for cat litter that is made from natural ingredients that often contain organic materials such as clay, corn cobs, and wheat bran flakes.
These are a much better choice than traditional cat litter because it’s safer for both animals to use.
This type of litter will help you avoid many of the problems that come with traditional litter.
Can a dog get sick from eating cat poop?
Yes, your dog can get sick from eating cat poop.
Let’s start by defining what can happen when a dog eats a cat’s poop: Intestinal parasites, hookworms, and all manner of pathogens.
These are just some of the potential health risks that could befall your dog if they eat the kitty’s droppings.
What Happens When a Dog Eats Cat Litter?
Commercial cat litter is toxic for dogs, mostly because of the clay component.
The biggest risk when a dog eats cat litter is an intestinal blockage.
Clay-based commercial litters contain non-digestible particles that may cause an obstruction in the intestines if they’re ingested by your dog.
This can lead to constipation or blockages, especially for small dogs who might eat a lot of litter at once.
Dog eating cat poop symptoms
There are a few symptoms of dogs eating cat poop.
The most common one is diarrhea, which has an obvious cause; the dog ate something that disagreed with it.
More serious cases include:
• Pain in the abdomen.
• Dehydration from diarrhea and/or vomiting
If you suspect your dog may have eaten some feces from a cat whether by accident or on purpose, we advise that you consult a veterinarian for an examination.
Dog-proof litter boxes are here to stay.
After reading through our buying guide, we hope that you are now better equipped to make an informed decision about the best litter box that is right for your situation and budget.
We recommend the Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box as it tops the list as the best dog-proof litter box.
90% of the feline owners who’ve bought this litter box are satisfied and highly recommend it.
Finally, remember not all dogs behave alike and some may pose greater risks than others.
We will keep adding to our list of dog-proof cat litter boxes as we test more, and inform you of any new additions.
In the meantime, this is a great starter list of premium dog-proof cat litter trays that are sure to please both you and your pets!
Our recommendations for the best dog-proof litter boxes will help you choose the right one for your needs.
We hope our guide has helped you find what you’re looking for to keep both pets happy and healthy while living together peacefully.