Fortunately, there are now products designed specifically for pets that make it easier than ever to keep your floors clean and your pets happy.
Do you have a multi-pet household that consists of a cat and a dog for pets?
For many pet owners, it can be difficult to let their furry friends roam free in the house.
This is especially true if your lovely dog tries to sneak into the cat’s litter box for a “midday snack”
Gross! I know right. But such is life and the reality that faces you and every household that has a dog and a cat.
The risk of infection from eating cat’s waste is present.
If you don’t address it, you’ll accumulate bills at the veterinarian and even risk losing your dog.
All manner of gastrointestinal tract issues in your lovely dog can crop up quickly. Helminths such as tapeworms, viruses, and bacteria are a potential threat.
You in luck though, because there is a solution to combat this problem.
Some litter boxes are designed to prevent dogs from accessing them and making a mess while at it. These are dog-proof litter boxes.
I have carefully and consciously reviewed the top 5 best dog-proof litter boxes. These dog-proof litter boxes are robust and designed as an anti-dog litter box.
There are fakes out here that will leave you a few dollars less and frustrated. I have gone the extra mile to eliminate the fakes and highlight the original brands from the most verified and authentic outlets.
After you have read through this review, you will be able to settle on your preferred option for your home.
Table of Contents
- 1 Factors To Consider Before Buying A Dog Proof Litter Box
- 2 The Best Dog Proof Litter Boxes Buying Guide
- 3 Strategies for Keeping Your Dog Away From Cat Poop
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 5 Conclusion
Factors To Consider Before Buying A Dog Proof Litter Box
1. Size of Dog:
The size of the dog will come into play when you are picking out a dog-proof litter box. A litter box that can’t accommodate your dog is better than one where your dog can hop in and have a feast meal. It is important to keep this in mind before purchasing because it can make a big difference.
2. Litter Box Type:
There are a lot of different types of dog-proof litter boxes on the market. They range from top entry to front entry litter boxes and vary in size. This means that you can choose one to suit your needs depending on what type of space you have indoors or outdoors.
3. Ease of Cleaning:
If it becomes hard for you to clean the dog-proof litter box, it will become smelly over time and turn your house into a foul-smelling habitation. An automatic self-cleaning litter box will clean out the litter mess and save you time and effort to do it manually.
4. Cost Of The Dog Proof Litter Box :
It is important to think about cost when looking at dog-proof litter boxes because they can vary in prices from premium boxes to budget boxes to low-budget cat litter boxes.
5. Hidden Litter Boxes:
If possible, try to get a hidden litter box because this way they can’t easily access it
The Best Dog Proof Litter Boxes Buying Guide
1. Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box
This innovatively designed dog-proof litter box provides your cat with ample space to handle her business. It keeps the litter intact too.
Your cat gets to enjoy privacy and freedom while eliminating. Besides, it reduces the amount of time you have to spend cleaning the litter box due to its ample space.
The box cover contains grooves that act as an in-built mat to brush your cat’s paws clean as she enters and leaves the box.
The dog-proof litter box comes with durable rubber feet to hold it firmly in place on any type of surface. This avoids skidding.
As an added benefit, it comes with a cat litter scoop which you hung on a hook inside the box for easy access.
- This is one of the best dog-proof litter boxes in the market today. It is a cat litter box that dogs can’t get into.
- The entrance at the top of the litter pan is large. This gives your cat enough space to move around and jump in and out easily.
- The entire box dimensions are: 20.8 x 16.1 x 14.6 inches
- Box weight: 4.85 pounds
- The box comes with a litter scoop which saves you on extra expenses. You can hang the scoop on the inside of the box for quick access.
- The top lid contains grooves that brush the cat’s paws clean as they enter and exit the box. This avoids your cat from tracking litter in the house.
- The top entry design ensures that the litter remains intact and no litter scatter occurs.
- The rubber feet prevent skidding on slippery floors. They ensure your cat can enter and exit comfortably without knocking the box over.
- The inner surface is smooth with round corners for easy cleaning.
Cons of Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box:
- If your cat decides to jump out of the box directly onto the floor, the box cover won’t catch any litter from her paws. This will cause litter tracking.
- The box doesn’t have a handle hence moving it from one place to another may not be a smooth process.
- If your cat is overweight and huge, the top lid may not support her weight comfortably without caving in.
Is the top lid removable?
Yes, the top lid is removable for easy scooping and cleaning. Push the two big buttons on either side of the box to lift the lid off.
2. Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
This dog-proof litter box has a wide top opening that gives your cat easy access in and out of the box.
There is adequate space inside the box for your cat to turn around and dig as she wishes.
This litter pan design comes with high walls that keep the litter intact. No matter how hard your cat digs and paws through the litter, no scatter will happen.
The box cover is a non-slip, textured lid that traps litter from your cat’s paws as soon as she jumps out of the box.
This trapped litter then falls back into the box through the grates on the lid.
These grates are large enough to allow most types of cat litter.
It comes equipped with rounded edges and a molded bottom handle. This helps you to lift the box easily, even when the box is full of litter.
Also, it comes with an in-built hook for hanging a litter scoop.
Made from 95% pre-consumer recyclable materials. It is an eco-friendly option when settling for a dog-proof cat litter box.
- The top entry design prevents the dogs from accessing the litter and digging in. A reliable dog-proof cat litter box indeed!
- The box comes with high walls that ensure the litter remains intact. Keeps it from spilling over the edges onto your floor.
- The box cover is a non-slip, textured lid that traps litter from your cat’s paws as soon as she jumps out of the box. This reduces the mess you have to deal with and keeps your floor clean.
- The wide top opening gives your cat easy access in and out of the box. There’s adequate space inside the box to turn around and dig as she wishes.
- Box dimensions: 20.3 x 15.1 x 15.2 inches
- Box weight: 3.45 pounds
- The built-in handles enable you to easily move the dog-proof litter box while cleaning.
- This box is compatible with litter liners to make cleaning an effortless task for you. Best option box when using litter liners.
Cons of Petmate Top Entry Litter Box:
- The little box hinges on the side are weak and can pull apart.
- Some boxes are difficult to attach from the top to the bottom.
- Your proud and stubborn cat might decide not to use it. Sucks!
3. Petmate Clean Step Litter Dome
The Petmate Booda Dome Clean Step Cat Litter Box is a beauty to behold, with a sleek step design. A dog-proof cat litter box that makes your home look good too.
The hooded top provides excellent privacy for your cat as she relieves herself.
- The in-built ramp is ideal for aged cats, injured cats, or those with mobility issues. They can’t jump in and out easily.
- The box comes equipped with a large filter to keep smelly odors from escaping the box. This ensures that you are enjoying the freshness in your living space.
- The box is huge, specifically 50% larger than your average litter box.
- Product Dimensions: 22.5 x 22.5 x 19 inches
- It weighs 22 pounds
- The sleek ramp step design traps litter from your cat’s paws. This will minimize litter tracking and keep your house clean.
· Made in the USA, this box has a built-in firm handle that makes storing and moving the litter pan easy.
· The lid snaps back into place keeping dogs out from accessing the litter. It’s a dog-proof litter box that ensures that your dog doesn’t feed on cat waste. How about that for a litter box!
· The dome lid is removable to access the inside during cleaning. This makes the whole cleaning process easy and flawless.
Cons of the Petmate Booda Dome Clean Step Cat Litter Box:
· It requires a different scoop from the normal due to the unique sleek shape of the dog-proof litter box.
· The inside space may be a little bit too fitting for a huge cat. The ramp occupies a big part of the cat’s litter box.
· Some cats get at and chew the filter, destroying it in the process. It is not in a protected housing hence exposed to damage.
4. Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench Decorative Litter Box Cover and Storage
The Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench Decorative Litter Box Cover and Storage is multifunctional. It’s used as a litter box cover, accent table, and roomy storage unit.
It’s designed to even accommodate extra-large cat litter boxes.
A dog-proof litter box in design.
It comes with magnetized doors that open wide for easy access.
It also has pre-cut holes in the back for electronic litter box cables.
It also has a removable partition wall that you can use to keep cat essentials.
You can have the entrance to the box on either side of the bench. This is based on the design of your room, for easy access by your kitty.
- It comes available in elegant white and walnut stains to match the theme in your house.
- . It is a dog-proof litter box that keeps your dog away from feeding on the cat’s poop while at home.
- It is multipurpose functioning as a litter box cover, kitty washroom, bench-style accent table, and roomy storage unit.
- It is designed to accommodate any size and shape of litter boxes. This includes extra-large automatic litter boxes. It even has pre-cut holes for electric cables. Your cat’s litter box of choice will fit perfectly.
- Product Dimensions: 21.3 x 37.4 x 22.6 inches
- It weighs: 57.4 pounds
- It hides all the litter messes from sight.
- Doesn’t absorb urine spills since the wood is sealed and nonporous so it will not absorb the smell.
Cons of Merry Products Cat Washroom Bench Decorative Litter Box Cover and Storage:
- Assembling the box takes some effort.
- Some cats may still track litter onto the floor.
- The quality of plastic that makes them is not very high quality
- The wood absorbs the smell after prolonged usage.
5. Catit Jumbo hooded cat litter pan
The Catit Jumbo hooded cat pan is an excellent choice for both you the cat owner, and your lovely cat. Why you may ask?
Just like you, your cat loves to have some privacy when relieving herself.
You, on the other hand, deserve an odor-free house. The Catit Jumbo Hooded cat litter box delivers both of these, seamlessly and effortlessly.
In addition, this is a dog-proof litter box.
Follow me as you and I dig deeper into the unique benefits that the Catit Jumbo hooded cat pan gives you and your cat.
- Available in a variety of colors to suit not only your taste but also the theme color in your house.
- It is a large litter box, big enough and suitable for a household with multiple cats. You are getting two at the price of one!
This is a dog-proof litter box that keeps away any dog in your home from accessing the cat’s litter.
Here are the dimensions:
- Cat’s litter box: 22.4 L x 18.3 H x 17 W inches
- Litter box door: 10.4 H x 9.6 W inches
- Shipping weight: 4.8 pounds
- It’s fitted with a hooded lift to give you easy access to the litter box when cleaning and scooping. The bag anchor secures the cat’s litter and frees up both of your hands to work comfortably inside the litter box.
- Additionally, the box has an easily removable clear door that gives you a view of the inside. This allows you to watch the box condition effortlessly from the outside. It also gives you easy access when need be.
- It has a built-in bag anchor that ensures the cat litter remains in place and doesn’t spill over. This is such a saver since you don’t get back home to find litter on your floor and carpet.
- The carbon filter available filters the nasty litter box odors. As a result, your house smells fresh and odor-free. Once the disposable carbon filter has worn out, you can easily replace it.
- This product is firm and sturdy, with a built-in handle ideal for carrying the litter box. It comes in handy when cleaning the box.
- The litter pan is high-sided, suitable for your large cat. Great for those that spray or dig the litter aggressively too.
Cons of the Catit Covered Litter Box:
- Handle the locking mechanism of the lid carefully to avoid weakening it.
- The door flap gets jammed and you may need to apply some pressure to move it. This may keep your cat from using the closed litter box.
- Some aggressive cats may destroy the biodegradable filter.
Strategies for Keeping Your Dog Away From Cat Poop
How do you stop a dog from eating cat poop? It can be difficult to keep your dog away from
the litter box, but there are a few strategies that work.
1. Dog Training and Set boundaries:
This is done by teaching the dog that they can’t go beyond a certain area, and if they do then something unpleasant will happen (e.g., loud noise).
2. Fence it out:
Provide a fence around the litter boxes or other cat areas where poop might be left behind as a deterrent. Create a cat door that allows only the cat to access the fenced zone. This cat door is designed in a manner that allows only the cat to slide in while keeping the dogs out.
3. Use an automatic self-cleaning litter box:
The self-cleaning litter box automatically removes the cat waste a few seconds after it detects that your cat has stepped out of the litter box. This ensures that your dog won’t find anything to snack on.
4. Use a deterrent spray:
By applying a deterrent spray on the cat litter will keep the dog away from the litter box.
5. Clean up ASAP:
As soon as your cat poops, scoop out the litter box. This will ensure no idle poop is left lying around for your dog to find. This method only works if you are around the house 24/7.
6. Use a dog proof litter box:
Need I say more?
It’s worth noting that different dogs have their preferences and find out which one works best on how to stop your dog from eating cat poop is often trial-and-error.
Which litter box design is your cat accustomed to? Top entry litter box, hooded cat litter box, self-cleaning litter boxes, or open pan litter box?
If you are a DIY enthusiast and would like to make a DIY Dog proof litter box from scratch, here’s how
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why Do Dogs Eat Cat Litter and Cat Poop?
This is a question that many dog owners ask themselves and the answer could just be as simple as a curiosity.
Cats often leave their faces uncovered to mark their territory, while dogs tend to cover up theirs. When cats go somewhere, they typically dig at the earth for several seconds before producing droppings which are then left uncovered. Dogs, on the other hand, dig for a few seconds before producing feces which are then covered up.
Ensure that your curious dogs don’t have any nutritional deficiencies that may push them to feed on the cat poop in search of nutrients.
Is cat litter toxic to dogs?
Traditional cat litters containing silica are toxic to dogs. Couple that with the fact that cat urine is composed of ammonia, which is a toxic chemical. This means that it can irritate the eyes and mucous membranes in dogs as well as giving them red, watery eyes.
Always ensure that you scoop the waste as soon as possible to avoid bacteria build-up that could lead to urinary tract infections in your dogs.
Go for cat litter that is made from natural ingredients that often contain organic materials such as clay, corn cobs, and wheat bran flakes, which is a much better choice than traditional cat litter because it’s safer for both animals to use. This type of litter will help you avoid many of the problems that come with traditional litters.
Can a dog get sick from eating cat poop?
Yes, your dog can get sick from eating cat poop. Let’s start by defining what can happen when a dog eats cat poop: Toxoplasmosis, intestinal parasites, and hookworms. These are just some of the potential health risks that could befall your dog if they eat the kitty’s droppings.
What can you do to prevent this? You should buy a dog-proof cat litter box for your cat and train your pet on how to use it using positive reinforcement (giving them treats!) Be sure to always keep it stocked with fresh, clean litter at all times too!
This will be great at preventing your dog from being able to access the contents. If you have multiple cats, consider investing in two different types of dog-proof litter boxes so they each can access their own.
What Happens When a Dog Eats Cat Litter?
Some dog owners believe that if their pet eats too much cat litter, they can get some of the chemicals from it which may cause stomach cramps. The jury is still out on this because there are also many other factors to consider.
However, there have been a few cases in which people noticed a change in behavior after their dog consumed an excessive amount of cat litter.
Why Do You Need A Dog Proof Litter Box?
Litter boxes are a necessity for any feline pet owner. Cats instinctively bury their feces to cover up the smell and discourage predators from finding them, which is why litter box training can be one of the most difficult things on earth – it’s unnatural!
A dog-proof litter box will help prevent accidents in your house that could cause an odor problem.
A dog-proof litter box will typically be covered, which helps to dissuade your dog from digging through the contents and scattering dirty fecal matter all over your home. A closed lid may also help prevent a cat’s curiosity about what is behind it – when they can’t see inside of the box, their instinctive urge to play and dig around is lessened.
The dog-proof litter box will also typically be made of heavy-gauge plastic, which can help prevent breakage if a dog or cat jumps on it while there are still litters inside.
Some dog-proof options may have a higher entry point for your pet to avoid accidents as well.
Dog eating cat poop symptoms
There are a few symptoms of dogs eating cat poop. The most common one is diarrhea, which has an obvious cause; the dog ate something that disagreed with it. More serious cases include vomiting and weight loss or lack of appetite for food altogether.
If you suspect your dog may have eaten some feces from a cat whether by accident or on purpose, we advise that you consult a veterinarian for an examination.
How to help dog pass cat litter
The first step is to try and tempt them with something else. Some dog owners report success by filling a bowl of their pet’s favorite food near the litter box or placing some toys nearby that might interest them more than digging in the dirt.
You can also reinforce this technique by making sure they have enough space for exercise, giving them plenty of attention, and making sure they are not bored.
If you think your dog might be ingesting a cat’s waste while digging in the dirt, then it is important to first rule out any medical issues that could be causing them to do this.
This can include irritable bowel syndrome or a urinary tract infection which will require veterinary attention because these conditions can make pets more prone to eating litter.
Dog-proof litter boxes are here to stay. After reading through our buying guide, we hope that you are now better equipped to make an informed decision about which type of cat litter is right for your situation and budget.
We recommend the Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box as it tops the list as the best dog-proof litter box.
90% of the feline owners who’ve bought this litter box are satisfied and highly recommend it.
Finally, remember not all dogs behave alike and some may pose greater risks than others.
We hope our guide has helped you find what you’re looking for to keep both pets happy and healthy while living together peacefully.