As mobile applications and operating systems are becoming much more secure in comparison to their counterpart, the desktop, it is very important to consider the element of security in the form of robust features. This point has become very much evident in the world of mobile application development so that everybody will be able to proceed with the areas which actually need protection without any problem. This is the step where OWASP mobile security testing will be basically a guideline for the developers and ultimately will be able to provide people with the safeguarding system of the applications.
Following are some of the very basic details that you need to know about the OWASP mobile security testing guide:
This particular guide is basically the manual and listing of the guidelines for the mobile application security development, testing and reverse engineering systems for the android and application testing experts. Having a look at the basic important factors, concepts, and techniques is definitely important, and some of those have been very well justified as follows:
- OWASP mobile app testing guide requirements and verification: This is basically a standard which is very well followed by the software architects, testing people and developers so that the creation of safe and secure mobile applications will be very well done. All of these scenarios will be very successful in providing people with coverage elements in multiple phases of the project and further help in making sure that multiple requirements will be very well sorted out for the outlining of development and the testing features based upon the best practices.
- Mobile application taxonomy: The mobile application concept will be very well standing for any kind of program which is running on a mobile device, and some of the specific kinds of mobile applications are explained as follows:
- Native applications will be the ones which will be needed for the system for which they have been developed, and they will be closely interacting with the operating system of the device. The best part of this particular system is that it will be directly accessing the components of the device in the form of a camera, sensors and other associated things.
- The web application will be the concept which will be running on top of the device broker and will provide the basic feeling of the native application. It will never interact with the device components, and further sandboxing will be carried out in the best possible manner.
- A hybrid application is basically the mixture of native and application, and ultimately, this will be helpful in making sure that executing like the native application will be very well carried out. A portion of this particular type of application will be running into the embedded Web browser, and ultimately, everybody will be able to proceed with the abstraction layer without any issue in the whole process.
- Progressive application will be the concept which will look just like the normal Web application and will provide people with the additional benefit of providing the developers in terms of working offline and ultimately getting the ability to access the mobile device hardware. This will combine the multiple standards available in the industry for a better user experience without any issues.
- Mobile application security testing: Security testing of the mobile application has to be very well carried out in every area of the development right until the release. The following are some of the basic kinds of testing systems which are done in this case:
- Blackbox testing: In this case, the testing person will be behaving like a real taker and will be exploring all the best possible combinations Along with user cases, which will be publicly available for the discovery of the information. This is also known as zero-knowledge testing.
- White box testing: This is the exact opposite of the above-mentioned point, and in this particular scenario, the concerned person will be conducting the sophisticated testing with knowledge about vulnerabilities because this is also known as full knowledge testing
- GRAY box testing: This is the sandwich of both the above-mentioned options, and ultimately, the concerned person, in this case, will be given the information about the credentials, and other areas will usually be hidden.
- Vulnerability analysis: This will be based upon having a look at the vulnerabilities in the application, and further, the static, in this particular case, will be based upon a detailed analysis of the source code. Things, in this case, will be done manually and automatically. Dynamic analysis, on the other hand, is a very sophisticated system which will be done during the run time, which will provide people with a good understanding of the vulnerable entry points, weak features and loopholes in the whole process.
- Penetration testing: This will be done in the final or the near-final stage, and ultimately, this will be based upon planning elements right from the preparation, gathering of information and the mapping of application in such a manner that testing and reporting will be very well done without any problematic scenario in the whole process.
Following are some of the best possible approaches and best practices associated with mobile application security testing, which organisations must focus on implementing nowadays:
- Comprehensive assessment: Any element of testing will begin whenever there is a good understanding of the environment, and ultimately, people need to have a good understanding of the very high-security positions in this particular case.
- Analysis of coding and security: This will help the people to focus on security by having a look at the root of the issues so that analysis of the coding will be very well carried out without any problem
- Penetration testing: This will be based upon depicting the real-life vulnerabilities in the system so that accessibility to the data will be very high
- Complete planning and execution: This will be based upon all the stuff, right from the preparation and execution to the reporting, so the resolution and testing will be taken into account, and everything will be very well carried out without any problem.
In addition to the points mentioned above, coping with technological advancement is equally important, and ultimately, getting in touch with the experts at Appsealing is very much advisable for modern-day organisations so that everything will be done very proficiently and relevant actions will be safely undertaken when required. Companies, in this particular case, will definitely be able to enjoy the upper hand over the attackers at all times.