Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Cat urine can be an incredibly pungent and unpleasant odor to have in your home. It’s also notoriously difficult to remove, as the smell seems to linger no matter how much you clean.
But there is an effective solution; Listerine! Believe it or not, Listerine can be used to effectively remove cat urine odor from carpets, furniture, and other surfaces. This powerful antiseptic mouthwash has a variety of uses, from freshening breath to removing cat urine odor.
In this article, we’ll show you how to use Listerine to get rid of cat urine odor and keep your home smelling fresh and clean. We’ll also cover safety precautions and other tips to help you get the job done quickly and effectively.
What You Need to Gather Before Starting
Before you start cleaning up the cat urine, you must gather everything you need to do the job properly. This includes:
- A pair of rubber gloves
- A face mask
- A dustpan and brush
- Paper towels
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- A spray bottle
- A scrub brush
It is also important to make sure that you have a well-ventilated area to work in, as the smell of cat urine can be quite strong.
Additionally, you should wear old clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty, as the cleaning process can be quite messy.
Preparing the Area for Cleaning
Once you have gathered all the supplies you need, the next step is to prepare the area for cleaning.
- Start by wearing your rubber gloves and mask to protect yourself from any germs or bacteria.
- Then, use a dustpan and brush to sweep up any solid waste or debris.
- Next, use paper towels or a cloth to blot up as much of the liquid as possible.
- After blotting up the liquid, you may need to use a scrub brush to help loosen any dried residue.
Once the area is prepped, you can begin cleaning.
- Start by using a cleaning solution and a cloth to wipe down the surface.
- Make sure to use a circular motion and rinse the cloth often.
- If there are any tough stains, you may need to use a stronger cleaning solution or a scrub brush.
- Once the area is clean, use a dry cloth to wipe away any excess moisture.
Steps to Remove Cat Urine Odor with Listerine
Once the area is prepped, it is time to start using Listerine to remove the cat’s urine odor.
- The first step is to mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
- Then, spray the mixture onto the affected area and let it sit for several minutes. This will help to break down any lingering odors and make them more easily removable.
- After waiting several minutes, sprinkle baking soda onto the spot and let it sit for another 10-15 minutes.
- Once the baking soda has had time to work its magic, it is time to begin using Listerine. Start by diluting the Listerine with an equal amount of water.
- Using a sponge or cloth, begin dabbing the diluted Listerine onto the spot. This will help to break down any lingering odors and help make them less noticeable quickly. You may need to repeat this step several times before the odor is eliminated.
- Once the odor is gone, it is important to clean the area thoroughly. Use a damp cloth to wipe away any remaining residue and then dry the area with a clean cloth. This will help to ensure that the odor is completely gone and will not return.
- Additionally, it is important to vacuum the area to remove any remaining baking soda or Listerine residue.
Tips and Tricks for a More Thorough Cleaning
When using Listerine to remove cat urine odor, several tips and tricks can help make the process more effective.
- For example, applying a layer of baking soda directly onto the affected area before applying the diluted Listerine can help neutralize the smell more quickly.
- Additionally, allowing the area to air dry after applying Listerine can also help reduce odors.
- It is also important to use a good quality vacuum cleaner to remove any remaining particles of cat urine. Vacuuming the area regularly can help to prevent the smell from returning.
- Additionally, using a deodorizing spray or carpet freshener can help to further reduce the smell of cat urine.
Additional Products That May Help With Cat Urine Odor Removal
In addition to using Listerine, several other products can be used to help remove cat urine odor. For example, enzymatic cleaners that are specifically designed for pet odor removal can be used to break down odors more quickly and effectively.
Additionally, white vinegar and baking soda can be used together as a natural deodorizer.
Other products that can be used to help remove cat urine odor include activated charcoal, which can be used to absorb odors, and hydrogen peroxide, which can be used to neutralize odors.
Additionally, using an air purifier with a HEPA filter can help to remove odors from the air.
How to Prevent Cat Urine Odors in the Future
To prevent cat urine odors in the future, it is important to clean up any messes right away.
- Make sure to use absorbent materials like paper towels or cloths as soon as possible to prevent any liquids from soaking into carpets or furniture.
- Additionally, try to regularly clean your cat’s litter box using an enzymatic cleaner to help break down any odors.
- It is also important to keep your cat’s diet balanced and healthy. Feeding your cat a high-quality diet can help reduce the amount of odor-causing bacteria in their urine.
- Additionally, make sure to provide plenty of fresh water for your cat to drink, as this can help dilute the urine and reduce the smell.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Cleaning Up Cat Urine Odors
When cleaning up cat urine odors, it is important to avoid certain mistakes for your efforts to be successful.
- One of the most common mistakes is using household cleaners such as bleach or ammonia as these can make the odor worse.
- Additionally, using too much baking soda can create an additional mess that will need to be cleaned up afterward.
By following these steps, you can easily use Listerine to remove cat urine odor and keep your home smelling fresh and clean. Remember to always wear gloves and a face mask to protect yourself from any germs or bacteria.
It is also important to remember to clean the area thoroughly after using any cleaning products. This will help to ensure that all of the bacteria and germs are removed and that the area is completely sanitized.
Additionally, it is important to use a good quality air freshener to help keep the area smelling fresh and clean. By following these steps, you can easily remove cat urine odors and keep your home smelling fresh and clean.