Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The Best Choice of Litter Box Carpet Protector is the Drymate Jumbo Cat Litter Trapping Mat.
There is nothing worse than coming home from a busy day to find a puddle of toilet from your cat on the carpet.
You’re probably thinking “why does my cat pee on the rug and why does she track the litter all over the carpet?”
If you’re a cat owner, you know the struggle of keeping your home clean. Cats aren’t too happy about dirty litter boxes and they usually tell us in no uncertain terms.
Litter box problems are frustrating, but not when you use The Best Litter Box Carpet Protectors.
The best carpet protector is one that can tackle the problem at its source and protect carpets from getting dirty, to begin with.
It’s safe and binds to the urine, making it non-toxic. Even with multiple cats in your home, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your carpet is safe from litter.
Don’t want to deal with dirty carpets and floors, do you? You want the best possible protection for your carpet or floor.
If you are anything like me, you will know how annoying it is when your cat has an accident on your carpet.
So, you have your litter box set up in a preferred location and now it’s time to make sure you’re your carpet stays protected.
There are many different types of carpet protectors available that can do this job.
No more litter on the carpet!
I have some good news for you.
Here are some of the best cat litter mat options for you.
The Best Litter Box Carpet Protector Top Picks
If you are pressed for time, here are the top 5 picks for the best litter box carpet protectors that I recommend for your feline friends:
- iPrimio Cat Litter Trapper EZ Clean Mat
- Petlinks Purrfect Paws Gray Cat Litter Mat
- Petmate Catcher Mat
- Frisco Rectangular Cat Litter Mat
- Fresh Kitty The Grate Cat Litter Mat
- Pet Champion Hole Cat Litter Mat
- Drymate Jumbo Cat Litter Trapping Mat
Rubber Cat Litter Mat for under the litter box
1. iPrimio Cat Litter Trapper EZ Clean Mat
The iPrimio Cat Litter Trapper EZ Clean Mat prevents litter tracking in the house. If litter lands on the mat, it falls through the large holes and is trapped underneath.
It’s one of the best cat litter mat options that trap litter.
- Keeps your house floor and carpet clean by trapping cat litter stuck from your cat’s paws and any spilled litter
- Keeps your house fresh by repelling bad odor and urine
- The mats for litter boxes are friendly on your cat’s paws due to their super smooth surface
- Easy to trash the trapped litter back into the litter box due to the double-layer design
- It is easy to clean
- Some aggressive cats can shred the cat litter box mats and destroy them.
- If you are not careful, the litter may pour onto your floor when picking up the litter mat since one end isn’t attached.
- The kitty litter mats may be difficult to clean manually. Using a washing machine for the machine-washable litter mats can solve this problem.
Keep it away from any pet that wants to chew on the cat litter mats.
2. Petlinks Purrfect Paws Gray Cat Litter Mat
Petlinks Perfect Paws Gray Cat Litter Mat uniquely spreads your cat’s paws when she walks on the litter mat.
This causes the trapped litter to be released and it settles into the cat mat.
- The cat litter box mat is easy to clean
- It is a flexible litter mat that captures litter easily preventing tracking.
- This is an extra-large mat that fits litter boxes well.
- Is a non-slip cat mat for the litter box
- The mats for litter boxes double down as a placemat for food and water bowls.
- The gray color is a dull gray and it may not be attractive if you are into colors.
- The litter box mat is light and made of a thinner rubber. Be careful not to trip on it.
Keep it out of reach of children and don’t allow your pets to chew on the mat or destroy it using cat’s paws.
3. Petmate Catcher Mat
The Petmate Cat Litter Catcher Mat is a rubberized litter mat that is price friendly and traps litter.
- The cat litter catcher mat is made from soft material that is easy and soft on your cat’s paws.
- The litter mat is made from quality and durable material that serves you well.
- It is easy to clean with cold water and air-dry it
- The mats for litter boxes can double up as feeding mats.
- The rubber material may cause some litter to bounce off the cat litter mat.
- The cat litter box mat is not waterproof and urine may leak out of the cat litter mat.
Shake the litter from the cat litter mat. Hand wash it with cold water and then leave it to air dry.
4. Fresh Kitty the Grate Cat Litter Mat
This mat comes with large openings on the top layer that allow the trapped cat litter to fall through to the second layer, where it can then be emptied.
- Traps litter well due to the deep-pocketed dual-layers
- The cat litter box mat has a waterproof film that doesn’t absorb cat pee and bad odors.
- The litter mats are easy to empty the trapped litter since one side is open
- The cat mat for the litter box is soft on your kitty’s paws
- The mat slides all over the place
- The litter mats are difficult to clean
- It’s not extra large and may not cover a large surface
5. Frisco Rectangular Cat Litter Mat
This is an anti-skid large litter box mat that prevents litter tracking on your carpet.
- Traps cat litter spills easily preventing litter tracking
- It is slip-resistant hence doesn’t skid
- The litter mat is easily cleaned
- It’s a large litter mat that can be used with most large litter boxes
- Easily shredded by an aggressive cat
- The litter mats cannot be easily vacuumed
6. Pet Champion Hole Cat Litter Mat
This mat comes with a waffled top layer design that catches litter, and the loose litter sifts to the bottom layer, ready for disposal.
- Traps litter well due to the two-layer system for sifting and trapping litter
- Easy to empty the trapped litter as it’s open on one end
- It is a durable mat
- It is comfortable to step on and good for your cat’s paws
- The litter box mats aren’t anti-skid
- Not ideal for large boxes as it is small
7. Drymate Jumbo Cat Litter Trapping Mat
The Drymate Jumbo Cat Litter is designed to gently separate the paws and claws of your cat as she stands on it, releasing any litter onto the mat.
The litter is then trapped in the ridges which you can then shake out easily.
- This litter mat traps litter from your cat’s paws and any spillage litter too
- It is waterproof hence doesn’t absorb urine and odors
- Easily washed using a machine
- Eco friendly as it is 50% made from recycled fibers
- It is skid resistant protecting your cat from accidents
- The litter box mats move easily and frequently on the tile floor.
- The cat litter carpet mat is slightly pricey
DIY Waterproof Cat Litter mat under the litter box
Here are do-it-yourself hacks for getting material that can trap the urine from under your litter box and ensure that the carpet underneath doesn’t get damaged.
- You can purchase a clear plastic carpet runner and place it under the litter box. This will ensure any urine that splashes outside the litter box is captured and contained. Your carpet will thank you.
- Take a huge garbage bag, and cut it open down on one side seam and the bottom seam. It opens up into a sizeable rectangle. As an added protective measure, you can add a couple of newspaper layers on top of it before placing the litter box on it. The newspapers soak up most of the urine and during disposal, simply roll up the whole thing and toss it in the garbage.
- Visit a hardware store and purchase a thick plastic sheeting by the foot to fit the carpet area you want to protect, under the litter boxes.
- Pro tip: Ensure you constantly clean it up since the urine can slowly make its way to the edge and get under the sheet.
- Source for molded litter cat mats with a lip that can hold a sizeable amount of liquid. These are heavy, waterproof, and have good friction with the carpet to make it non-slip.
Should you decide to jump to your favorite store and get a ready-made one, check out the list of the best cat litter mat options for use under the litter box.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I put under my cat’s litter box?
- Non-skid bath mat
- Cardboard or
- Old newspapers
What can I put under my litter box to protect the floor?
- Plastic trays
- Old blanket
- Old bathroom rug or mat
- Thick foam rubber
- Cat litter mats
- Puppy pads or towels.
- Litter box pads
How do I keep my carpet clean in the litter box?
If you want to keep your carpet clean around the litter box, you should use a litter mat. That way, the litter does not get tracked through your home.
- A litter box rug will help catch some of the stray litter that gets kicked out of the litter box while your cat is using it. You can then shake this off into a trash bag instead of vacuuming it up or sweeping and dust panning it.
- Clean your carpet daily using an enzyme cleaner, to treat stains and odors.
- You can keep the carpet around it clean by vacuuming daily
- Train your cat to use a higher-walled box so there is less opportunity for spillage.
- Use a non-tracking cat litter.
Can you put a litter box on the carpet?
Yes, you can put a litter box on a carpet, but it is not recommended because it won’t be easy to keep the carpet clean.
Putting a litter box on the carpet can cause problems such as litter being tracked out of the box onto the carpet and odors being absorbed by the carpet.
As a result, this can spill over and cause litter box problems such as eliminating the carpet itself.
Carpets are harder to clean than a tile or a hardwood floor. Carpets also trap odors, and cats are sensitive to smell.
If you have to put the litter box on the carpet (for example, if you live in an apartment with all carpeted floors), then consider getting an elevated litter box that’s easy to clean.
However, you do need to take some precautions if you have to place the litter box on the carpet:
- Place a big piece of heavy-duty cardboard underneath the cat’s litter box to protect the carpet from any litter spilling out.
- Also, make sure you clean the carpet thoroughly around the litter box once a day. That way there won’t be any urine smell left behind and your cat will still use his or her litter box most of the time.
- If you have several cats, you’ll need more than one litter box so they don’t get territorial and cause problems for each other (like not using the box).
- Make sure the cat box has rubber or plastic feet on the bottom so it won’t slide around too much when your cat uses it.
- You can put a litter box on the carpet as long as it is covered with a kitty litter rug or towel and kept clean.
- Choose a carpeted spot that can be easily cleaned. Even with the best litter scooping routine, kitty litter will get tracked out onto the carpet. If possible, choose an area that doesn’t get much traffic so that there’s not too much wear and tear on your carpet from people walking over it and/or getting litter stuck in their socks or shoes. You also want to be sure that you can easily clean up any spills from the litter box without having to haul out heavy furniture or otherwise move things around. This means choosing a location away from walls and furniture if possible.
- Put down a mat under the litter box to collect stray kitty litter and reduce tracking. The size of the litter box rug will depend on your cat’s habit of kicking litter out of the box; an extra-large mat may be necessary for cats who are heavy kickers. The litter box rug can be cleaned with soap and water or placed in a washing machine (if it’s machine washable). Allow it to dry completely before placing it back on the floor. A dry mat will make cleaning up any messes easier.
So, why buy The Best Litter Box Carpet Protector? Easy! If you have a carpet and a cat, it’s a smart investment.
You don’t want to be replacing those carpets again and again.
Getting a litter box floor protector that has all the features you need is important.
From keeping all that litter and debris contained within, to looking pretty and lovely on your floor, while protecting your carpet….it’ll make a wonderful addition to any home.
Now that you are aware of the importance of a durable litter box carpet protector, the next step is to decide what kind will work best for you and your cat!
It’s a no-brainer, the Drymate Jumbo Cat Litter Trapping Mat carries the day.
What is your best feature of this rubber mat?