Investing in a home litter box for your cat is a relatively stress-free process. Other than cleaning it and scooping the waste, hardly much is needed from you.
This, however, changes when you are:
- A frequent traveler and you have to take your cat with you on the journey.
- Relocating and moving houses and you want to carry your feline friend with you.
The regular home litter box in most cases is not ideal for the journey and an alternative portable travel litter box is needed.
A portable cat box that can easily fit in your car or even a plane and isn’t a hustle to ferry around.
They come in different shapes and sizes and here I classify them into three categories:
1. Collapsible litter boxes: These portable litter boxes collapse when not in use to save on space.
2. Multi-use boxes
3. Disposable travel litter boxes
Cats are territorial and creatures of habit. Prior to making the trip, make sure your cat acclimatizes to the new portable cat litter. Do this by adding some of the same types of litter she is used to. Take a piece of clothing that your cat sleeps on such as a blanket and throw it inside the travel box. This is important otherwise you will end up with a stinky mess on your car backseat.
Table of Contents
- 1 How do you travel with a cat litter box?
- 2 Factors to consider before buying a travel kitty litter box
- 3 What is a portable cat litter box for travel and why do you need one?
- 4 Disposable litter boxes for traveling
- 5 Necoichi Portable Stress-Free Cat Cage and Cat Litter Box Set
- 6 Pet Fit For Life Collapsible Portable Litter Box with Collapsible Bowl
- 7 Nature’s Miracle Jumbo Disposable Cat Travel Litter Box 2 Pack
- 8 Cat’s Pride Kat Kit Litter Trays, case of 5
How do you travel with a cat litter box?
Travel litter boxes are carried in a cat carrier and should fit in it while leaving space for your cat to move around and also sleep.
The cat carrier ensures that the box and the cat are stable during the motions of travel.
Your cat is adorable, I know, but letting her roam freely in the car while driving isn’t a good idea. You may step on the brakes and dash her across the windshield or she gets stuck under the brake pedal.
Set up the travel box days prior to the travel date and add the same type of cat litter as she’s used to.
Place it inside the cat carrier and leave the door open. Allow your cat to explore this new space and get familiar with it.
This will help eliminate anxiety and put her at ease when you finally travel and shut the door on her.
Factors to consider before buying a travel kitty litter box
When choosing the best travel litter box for your cat, you need to make number of considerations before settling on one.
1. Your cat’s current state of health:
Has your cat had diarrhea or stomach problems lately? This can turn out to be a nightmare when traveling and you were not prepared for it.
Ideally, you should consult your veterinarian officer who should treat your cat prior to the journey. Then make the trip when your cat is well.
However, in some instances, that may not be possible due to strict deadlines. So, what can you do to make the journey bearable when your cat is having a diarrhea?
- Carry the medication to administer your cat with you.
- Feed your cat easily digestible foods and clean water.
- Have a closed odor-resistant travel litter box.
- Ensure the portable cat litter box is easily washable without getting damaged.
2. The length of the journey
How long do you intend to take on the road or air before settling into a house?
This will guide you into picking the right type of box for traveling.
For short journeys, a disposable box will work perfectly. Once you get to your destination, simply throw it away.
For longer journeys, a more durable litter box that’s washable and firm is needed.
3. The age of your cat
How old is your cat? Do you have kittens with you or an older cat?
When dealing with kittens that have just been litter box trained, it is important to keep the dynamics as constant as possible. You can use the same regular cat litter box for traveling.
However, keep a constant check on the kittens to see how they are responding to the constant road bumps and tossing back and forth.
4. Prior experience to traveling
Is she a traveling cat? A cat that has traveled before and has grown comfortable will know how to alert you when the need to relieve herself arises. She will be less agitated and can withstand the hustle of a bumpy road trip.
An inexperienced cat will require more delicate handling from you. Keep an eye on her and guide her to use the portable cat litter box when necessary. Reassure her too in case she becomes unsettled.
5. The Size of the travel box:
Select a travel litter box that is ideal for your cat. Remember that a general way to measure this is by getting a litter box that’s between 1.5-2 times bigger than your cat.
This gives her enough room to turn and dig when eliminating. It avoids having parts or her rear end hanging out of the cat litter pan.
6. The quality of the travel box:
For starters, it needs to be water-resistant. Can you imagine the travel litter box getting soaked up and leaking while at the back seat? Gross, just gross!
Travelling can be unpredictable and should the rain catch you outside, the box should not absorb the water and get damaged in the process.
A water-resistant cat litter box will be easy to clean and wipe when need be.
The overall material that makes the travel box should be of quality to ensure durability. It should be firm and able to withstand various harsh weather conditions.
It should be scratch-resistant too by your cat’s claws.
What is a portable cat litter box for travel and why do you need one?
These are a set of features you should consider before getting the best portable cat litter box:
1. Compact, collapsible and packable so as to fit in your car.
2. Should be acceptable to your cat.
3. Usually smaller than the standard cat litter box and come in multiple sizes, shapes and designs.
4. Made of biodegradable and recyclable materials
The best disposable litter boxes are self-contained, compact, and can be repacked. Usually, they have a short lifespan due to the assembling and reassembling. They require little care and are simply acquired for use in a journey or short travel span.
They are necessary for making the journey cozier for you and your cat. Some come with a zipper cover which ensures you store the cat litter while on the road.
Disposable litter boxes for traveling
This is a collapsing cat litter box, frequently made of waxed or crimped cardboard, which is dispensable and recyclable.
Dispensable boxes are too flimsy and unstable to even think about using each day, yet they are incorporated here on the grounds that they are particularly helpful at feline shows, for voyaging, getaways and for felines who are sick for a brief span (especially in a multiple-cat household, where you don’t want to risk spreading any sickness).
After the show or vacation, or when the cat’s wellbeing has improved, you just discard the container.
1. They are cheap
2. Great odor control
3. Convenient for traveling
4. Saves time by not cleaning the cat travel litter box
5. Highly convenient and portable
1. Usually smaller in size
2. Most are made of cardboard and may leak after several visits by your cat or multiple cats.
3. Some may be for a single time use
How to pick the disposable travel litter box
There are a number of considerations you have to put in place to ensure that you are getting the best travel litter box. Below are the key factors:
1. Size and portability of the cat litter box:
You want one that’s easily portable and fits in your car. The general rule of a cat litter box size is that it should be about 1.5 to twice the size of your cat. Portable boxes are usually smaller than the standard cat litter boxes. Go for a foldable one that is most suitable for your cat.
2. Purpose and type of the travel cat litter box:
Why do you want a disposable kitty box? The answer to this question will help you to narrow down on exactly what is the best pick.
Disposable litter boxes are great if you are making a one time travel then dispose it or for emergencies and house training a new cat.
A closed or open one depends on your preference and its acceptability by your cat. A travel litter box with lid is better in containing odors.
A multi-use fabric portable litter box is ideal for frequent travelers since it can be cleaned and used multiple times. They also work well as temporary cat beds and make an excellent choice for your cat carrier during air travels.
3. The construction materials of the travel cat litter box
The quality of material making the travel cat litter box is central in determining what to pick. The lighter the material, the less durable the cat litter box will be.
The cat litter pan liners should be waterproof and scratch-proof to withstand clawing by the cats.
The material making the travel litter boxes are usually made of recycled cardboard that is fully biodegradable and eco-friendly.
Here are the best travel boxes for your cat:
Necoichi Portable Stress-Free Cat Cage and Cat Litter Box Set
Description of the cat box carrier with the portable litter box:
The Necoichi Portable Stress-Free Cat Cage and Cat Litter Box Set keeps your cat safe while she stays relaxed.
This set comes with a fleece mat, a cage and a portable litter box for your cat.
This set is applicable during travels and moving houses.
The cage is multi-purpose and has two mesh panel sides that give your cat a view and allow for easy breathing.
It is foldable and its sides can be rolled down to give your cat some privacy.
This cage is easy to store and transport, and includes built-in seat belt straps for car travel.
This is a foldable travel litter box which can be snapped shut and conveniently transported.
This is an ideal box set to put you and your cat at ease during those stressful travel periods.
Key Benefits of cat travel crate with a portable cat litter box:
- The kit comes with a fleece mat, a cage and a portable cat litter box. This set up is complete for travel and you don’t have to go sourcing for other items elsewhere.
- The two mesh panels on the sides give your cat adequate breathability and visibility, making her comfortable.
- There are seamless and durable waterproof liners that keep leaks at bay. They are also easy to clean.
- This portable litter box is foldable hence offering you easy portability.
- It is ideal to use during travel or when moving houses.
- Great for a frequent traveler
Cons of Necoichi Portable Stress Free Cat Cage and Cat Litter Box Set
- The cage is huge and may not fit easily on bucket car seats.
- If your cat is aggressive, she may tear through the zippered opening.
Pet Fit For Life Collapsible Portable Litter Box with Collapsible Bowl
The Pet Fit For Life Collapsible Portable Litter Box with Collapsible Bowl is a must-have when traveling.
It is made from a durable, nylon fabric.
It easily folds making storage and traveling easy.
It’s large enough to hold 4-5 pounds of travel cat litter.
You can easily clean it with a damp cloth before storing it under the car seat or on a shelf.
- It is great for traveling and camping with your cat.
o 15 length x 11 width x 5 length in inches.
- The flexible travel litter box collapses easily making storage convenient.
- A bonus collapsible travel bowl comes with it to keep her hydrated.
- Easy to clean using a damp cloth.
- You can use a litter liner with the cat litter pan.
Cons of Pet Fit For Life Collapsible Portable Litter Boxes with Collapsible Bowl
- An aggressive cat may tear through the material.
Nature’s Miracle Jumbo Disposable Cat Travel Litter Box 2 Pack
This package comes with two large Nature’s Miracle Jumbo Disposable Litter Boxes.
They are a perfect fit for a multi-cat household and your fat cat.
These boxes come with baking soda to neutralize the smelly odors while you travel.
- The jumbo size of the travel litter box is incredible for accommodating your large cats. Great for a multi-cat household as well.
o Box dimensions: 21 x 15.25 x 7.75 inch litter pan
o It weighs 2.75 pounds
- The baking soda provides extra protection against smelly odors and urine ammonia. This ensures that your cat doesn’t suffer and your nostrils are spared too while you are on the road.
- The disposable boxes give you an easy and stress-free way to travel with your cats.
- Made from biodegradable eco-friendly recycled paper material. This allows you to conveniently dispose it off while taking care of the environment.
- Comes with two boxes which are adequate for you. They are useful in case you are making a long trip or spending extra days in your travel plans.
- It doesn’t shred nor leak, so it is messy free.
- It is suitable for use with any type of travel cat litter that your cat is used to.
- Ideal for short trips
Directions for use:
- Simply fill the travel litter box with 2-3 inches of your cat’s favorite litter.
- Remember to scoop the box every single day and replace the litter to the original litter depth. This will keep the freshness and keep odors at bay.
- You can use the box up to 4 weeks after which you should dispose of it.
- You don’t need to clean and scrub this portable litter box.
- Clean your hands every time you handle the travel litter box.
Cons of the Nature’s Miracle Jumbo Disposable Cat Travel Litter Box 2 Pack
- If you have cats that urinate frequently and heavily, it may not last until four weeks are over. This is because leaks may begin to appear.
- Compared to your regular litter pan, they are more difficult to scoop. It’s common especially after the coating has worn off.
- The sides of the box are not smooth and can be irritating when trying to scrape clumps away from the sides. This is especially if your cat chooses to aim right at the side.
96% of the cat owners who’ve bought this portable litter box are impressed and give it a 5 star rating!
Cat’s Pride Kat Kit Litter Trays, case of 5
These are disposable trays that come pre-filled with three pounds of Cat’s Pride Fresh & Clean litter.
This litter is a freshly scented clay litter that has natural sponge-like minerals. These have good absorbing qualities that keep odors at bay.
The litter has low dust with minimal tracking to keep your home clean.
They are also touch-free and come in a case of five to suit your cat’s needs.
100% made from recycled plastic
- The 5 disposable plastic trays come already prefilled with non-clumping Cat’s Pride Fresh & Clean litter. Talk about saving on the dollar.
- The litter has low dust and minimal tracking that keeps your environment clean and dust-free.
- It’s easy to use, carry, and handle. In addition, it is disposable hence saves you on cleaning time and effort.
- 100% made from recycled plastic hence assists in preserving the environment.
- This product is endorsed by the American Humane Society. It is a great quality product.
- They are intended to work for 7-10 days with 1 cat and about 5 days with 2 cats.
- Each tray roughly weighs 3 pounds with the litter included, total weight is 15 pounds.
- The dimensions for the trays are 19.8 x 12.8 x 9 inches.
Cons of Cat’s Pride Kat Kit Litter Trays, case of 5:
- They need to be handled with care during transportation to avoid cracking.
- They are a bit pricey.
- If your cat is a digger, the litter amount may be shallow for her liking.
Cat sedative for travel
During travel, your cat is likely to get anxious. This is common where it’s her first time doing it.
It’s extremely difficult to quantify anxiety in animals.
To calm her down, you can consider using a cat sedative for travel with the guidance of your veterinarian.
You can opt for a natural cat sedative during travel or a conventional cat sedative.
Anti-anxiety drugs have been in use for long in the pet world and they are classified as:
- Sedative hypnotics that cause sedation and progress towards sleep or hypnosis with dosage increase. In addition, they also cause muscle relaxation, prevent convulsion, and can cause dependency with prolonged use.
Don’t panic, I won’t go into the technical details of their mode of action pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics. I’ll keep it pretty simple. Examples include barbiturates and benzodiazepines.
- Sedative autonomics affect the peripheral nervous system. Additionally, they lower seizures, increase muscle tone and minimize the development of dependence.
Diazepam causes sedation and can be used cat tranquilizer for travel under the guidance of your veterinarian officer.
What do you do if you don’t have a portable cat litter box?
The Necoichi Portable Stress-Free Cat Cage and Litter Box Set comes equipped with a portable litter box for your cat’s needs.
How long can my cat go without a litter box?
According to pet experts and animal behaviorists, cats can go without a litter box for upto 24-48 hours.
They can avoid peeing for that long.
However, it is not advisable to put your cat in conditions where they can’t access the litter box since it might end up being a messy affair.
Can I bring a cat litter on a plane?
Yes, you can bring a cat litter and a portable litter box on a plane. However, you must do a number of things bore hand:
- Research about the airline you are planning on using.
- Settle on a pet-friendly airline.
- Contact them to confirm whether they will allow your cat to travel in the cabin with you.
- Ask about any health documents and necessary paperwork needed.
- Book in advance!
The best disposable litter box for travel will be dictated by the factors outlined above and your cat. Ensure you get the most ideal one for your cat and the traveling will be enjoyable both for you and your cat.