Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The Best Top Entry Cat's Litter Box is the Iris Top Entry litter box.
Are you a cat owner? Are you searching for the best top entry litter boxes?
Then you’re in luck. You have found just the right blog to help you find just the right litter box for your beloved felines.
There are various types of litter boxes, ranging from both large & small, low to high-sided, top entry, and front entry.
Many cat owners face a difficulty or two when it comes to choosing their feline friend’s litter box.
If this is the case, then you should take a look at my top 5 list of the largest top entry litter boxes that are available on the market today.
You have a fancy new cat that you want to keep indoors. Does your cat kick litter?
When you’re looking for the best Cat litter box, you’re not just buying a box.
You’re buying into a long-term relationship that goes beyond scooping poop and changing the litter.
The best top entry cat litter boxes should be spacious, easy on your hands and feet, look amazing, and most importantly, have a positive effect on your cat’s behavior.
Cats are some of the most intelligent animals in the world which makes them hard to train and nervous if they don’t like their environment.
For this reason, it is key that you get a top entry litter box that works in all areas mentioned above.
When looking at the best cat litters to buy, choosing one that comes with a hood is always going to provide added benefits such as containing dust, controlling odor, and deterring kitty throw-up.
Go through these top entry litter box reviews carefully before you make your purchase.
The Best Top Entry Cat Litter Box Top Picks
If you are pressed for time, here are the top 5 picks for the best top entry litter boxes that I recommend for your feline friends:
- Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
- Iris Top Entry Litter Box
- Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box
- Gefryco Cat Litter Box
The Best Top Opening Litter Box
These top entry litter box reviews will enable you to settle on the ideal box for your home.
1. Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
This litter pan comes equipped with rounded edges and a molded bottom handle that helps you to lift the box easily. This is important especially when the box is full of litter.
In addition, it comes with an in-built hook for hanging a litter scoop.
Made from 95% pre-consumer recyclable materials. It is an eco-friendly option when settling for a dog-proof cat litter box.
- The top entry design prevents the dogs from accessing the litter and digging in. A reliable dog-proof cat litter box indeed!
- The box comes with high walls that ensure the litter remains intact. The litter doesn’t spill over the edges onto your floor.
- The box cover is a non-slip, textured lid that traps litter from your cat’s paws as soon as she jumps out of the box. This reduces the mess you have to deal with and keeps your floor clean.
- The wide top opening gives your cat easy access in and out of the box. She has adequate space inside the box to turn around and dig as she wishes.
- The built-in handles enable you to easily move the litter box while cleaning. You are then able to throw away the old litter and replace it with a fresh supply.
- This box is compatible with litter liners to make cleaning an effortless task for you.
Cons of Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan:
- The top may not attach to the bottom securely. Your cat may keep knocking it off.
- If your cat darts from the box directly onto the floor, litter tracking will happen in your house. A litter mat, however, solves this problem.
2. Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box
Your cat gets to enjoy privacy and freedom while eliminating. In addition, it reduces the amount of time you have to spend cleaning the litter box due to its ample space.
As an added benefit, it comes with a litter scoop which can be hung on a hook inside the box for easy access.
Here are the iris top entry litter box reviews.
- The iris litter box this design is dog-proof. ….Cat litter boxes that dogs can’t get into.
- The entrance at the top of the litter pan is large. This gives your cat sufficient space to move around and jump in the litter box and out easily.
- These litter boxes come with a litter scoop which saves you on extra expenses. You can hang the scoop on the inside of the box for quick access.
- The top lid contains grooves that brush the cat’s paws clean as they enter and exit the box. This avoids your cat from tracking litter in the house.
- The iris litter box top entry design ensures that the litter remains intact and no litter scatters occur.
- The rubber feet prevent skidding on slippery floors. They ensure your cat can enter and exit comfortably without knocking the box over.
- The inner surface is smooth with round corners making it easy to clean.
Cons of Iris Top Entry Cat Box:
- If your cat decides to jump out of the iris cat litter box directly onto the floor, the top entry litter box cover won’t catch any litter from her paws. This will cause litter tracking.
- The iris top entry cat litter box doesn’t have a handle hence moving it from one place to another may not be a smooth process.
- If your cat is overweight and huge, the top lid may not support her weight comfortably without caving in.
Is the top lid removable?
Yes, the top lid is removable for easy scooping. This makes it easy to clean too. Push the two big buttons on either side of the box to lift the lid off.
3. Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
The Frisco Top Entry Cat Box has a covered design that helps keep the litter inside the box.
It provides your cat with privacy during elimination. It’s also ideal for cats that love to spray or dig aggressively.
The box cover is dual purpose as it traps any litter from your cat’s paws as she exits the litter box. It also keeps the poop out of sight.
When it’s time to scoop, simply lift the lid for easy cleaning up. Discard any old litter and replace it with fresh litter.
- The top entry enclosed design is dogproof and keeps away non-feline intruders.
- The enclosed design ensures no litter scatters occur. Cats that enjoy digging and spraying urine can use this box comfortably without you worrying about litter scatter.
- The litter lid traps litter as your cat leaves the litter box. This prevents litter tracking in the house.
- Comes with built-in handles for easy handling during movement, especially during cleaning.
- It is designed from BPA-free, durable and recyclable plastic. They are easy to clean with soap and water.
- It’s spacious with enough room for most cats to dig and turn while relieving themselves.
Cons of Frisco Top Entry Cat Box:
- The top entry box lid latch may be weak.
- Most ideal for medium and smaller-sized cats.
- Larger cats may knock this litter box over. They will opt for an extra-large top entry cat litter box.
How much weight can the lid support?
The lid can support a maximum of 33 pounds.
4. Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box
The Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box has a unique design that eliminates tracking.
It is ideal for a multi-pet home since it keeps most dogs out preventing them from snacking on the cat poop.
- If your cats love to dig and kick litter, this box will keep the litter in and prevent litter wastage.
- The Clevercat litter box acts like a dog-proof litter box enclosure. Your pet dog won’t snack on the cat poop which can cause your dog to fall ill.
- The top entry design provides partial cover that minimizes the box odor. It keeps your home smelling fresh.
- Easily adaptable to kittens and they quickly learn how to use this top entry-designed box. Works well as a top entry litter box for kittens that are almost fully mature.
Cons of Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box:
- This box is not recommended for cats that are disabled, elderly, or those with mobility problems.
- It’s not ideal for very large cats hence doesn’t work well as a top entry litter box for large cats.
- Some cats jump from the box directly onto the floor. They avoid the top entry litter box cover that is designed to trap litter from your cat’s paws. This can cause tracking.
5. Gefryco Top Entry Litter Box
This box comes with a transparent panel that allows you to see what is going on inside the box.
It is beautifully designed and can be folded.
It is one of the best top entry litter box options for large cats.
- Convenient top entry box
- It is a high-quality cat box that is portable and also foldable to save space
- It is an extra-large top entry cat litter box that is spacious
- It is a dog proof litter box
- The urine gets stuck in between the cracks of the corners
- The design is not easy to clean
How do top entry kitty litter boxes work?
Top entry kitty litter boxes work by enclosing the litter and preventing scattering.
Your cat accesses the litter box by entering from the top where there’s an entry into the box. The box is spacious enough to allow your cat to turn and dig as she eliminates.
Once she is done, she jumps from the box onto the litter cover that is a non-slip, textured lid.
It traps litter from your cat’s paws as soon as she jumps out of the box. This reduces the mess you have to deal with and keeps your floor clean.
The trapped litter then falls back into the top entry litter box. This avoids wastage.
A low dust cat litter is a great option.
Top entry litter box pros and cons
Some cats are shy and easily scared and prefer to do their business in private. A top entry litter box gives them the privacy they need to feel comfortable while they are doing their thing.
2. Less Mess:
The top opening means you don’t have to worry about anyone kicking out the litter or digging in the litter and making a mess. The design makes it more difficult for a cat to track out litter because they are leaving through the opening at the top rather than on the sides where litter can fall out as they dig. This makes it easier to keep your floors cleaner and reduces the amount of time you spend cleaning up after your cat.
3. Odor Control:
They have better odor control than open litter boxes. The top lid helps contain the smell of urine and feces, which is always something cat owners appreciate.
Some top entry litter boxes also have an extra “grating” to prevent tracking by trapping debris in the box. However, this grating can be hard on paws, especially if you have an older cat or one who has arthritis.
5. Safer for multi-cat households:
Top entry litter boxes can also be safer for your cat – particularly if you have multiple cats in your household. Since there’s only one entrance into the box, other cats won’t be able to ambush your kitty while she’s using the bathroom.
- They can be difficult to clean
- It may not be suitable for some senior or disabled cats
- It may not be suitable for large or overweight cats
- May not be suitable for kittens or small breeds. Doesn’t work as a kitten top entry litter box.
- Less airflow can lead to stronger odors
- Cats may not like entering through a hole. Many cats are wary of entering into a darker, enclosed space.
- It may be slightly pricey
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the point of a top entry litter box?
A top entry litter box is a cat litter box with a lid on the top.
It has an opening that allows your cat to enter and exit the box while keeping out any little paws from getting into the litter.
The idea behind it is that keeping the litter in and paws out, helps to reduce tracking, scatter, and spills.
It’s also great at preventing other pets or children from digging through your cat’s litter.
The top-entry litter box is a great solution for homes with multiple cats and pets, especially if they are prone to disturbance by other animals.
The high walls of a top-entry litter box offer privacy from the world outside and a more comfortable interior for your feline friend, making it perfect for easily stressed-out cats.
Top entry cat litter boxes are also helpful for indoor cats who urinate large amounts at once. They reduce the chance of urine spills or spray outside the litter box.
Cats prefer a clean environment to eliminate, so having a top entry cat litter box helps reduce the chance that they’ll go outside the box when it’s not fresh and clean.
Top entry litter boxes are great for cats who do not like to be watched while going to the bathroom.
A litter box with a top is the perfect solution for any cats that love to dig, kick and throw their litter out of the box.
Do cats prefer covered or uncovered litter boxes?
In a study conducted by the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Illinois, the preference of cats for covered or uncovered litter boxes was explored.
The results were published in the March/April issue of the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science 1
Cats from a large animal shelter were observed as they used both covered and uncovered boxes. The cats showed no preference for one type of box over another.
This study shows that using an uncovered litter box is just as acceptable to cats as using a covered one. However, the study also showed that cats prefer to have more than one box available.
Cats are very clean animals and like their litter box to be clean as well, so having more than one box means that there will always be a clean one available.
Having more than one litter box is especially important if you have more than one cat in your household.
Can kittens get into top entry litter boxes?
Kittens can jump in the litter box. It’s the getting out that is the problem.
Kittens are not yet used to using the litter box and don’t have the same reflexes as older cats.
They tend to dig deeper into the litter box and might get stuck inside.
There are specific litter box options for young felines, which have a lower opening so they can climb in and out more easily.
These are also suited for senior cats and those with back problems, who may need the extra help getting in and out of the box.
The downside of these low front entry boxes is that they are more likely to track litter outside of the box since it’s easier for kitties to escape.
Do cats like top entry litter boxes?
In my experience, some do, some don’t.
I’ve seen cats that prefer one to the other.
I’ve also seen cats who just don’t seem to care at all.
Some of this is probably related to the individual cat’s sensitivity to feeling trapped or unable to see out while eliminating, as well as the cat’s personality overall.
If you’re wondering whether or not to switch your cat from her regular litterbox to a top litter box, it comes down to personal preference.
If you want something that looks nicer than an open-top box and wants to prevent your cat from kicking litter all over the bathroom, a top entry box might be right for you.
Keep in mind that these large top entry litter boxes are larger than standard ones, so they may not fit well in small spaces.
Why won’t my cat use the top entrance litter box?
Several reasons may influence your cat from not using the top litter box.
- Change in cat litter
- Difficulty in accessing the box due to mobility issues.
- Older cats may prefer a low entry box
The first step to diagnosing the problem is by finding out what exactly is hindering your cat from using the top entry litter box flawlessly.
There are hacks to use when introducing a new litter box to your cat:
- Place the new box next to the old box and allow your cat to familiarize herself.
- Remove the top lid so that your cat gets used to the box.
- Use the same type of litter.
How to get a cat to use a top entry litter box
There are a few different ways to get your cat to use the top entry litter box.
One way is to gradually train them by slowly moving the old litter box closer and closer to the new one.
The best way to get a cat to use the top entry litter box is to make sure that the litter box is clean and has clean litter in it.
Cats are very clean animals and they don’t like using a dirty litter box.
You can also try putting a little bit of catnip or treats in the new litter box to get them interested.
Finally, make sure the new litter box is in a quiet and comfortable spot for your cat.
Once your cat starts using the new litter box, you can gradually wean them off of the old one.
The other thing you can do is to make sure that there are not too many obstacles around the litter box.
Cats don’t like feeling cramped and they won’t want to use the top entry if there are barriers in front of it.
Are top entry litter boxes suitable for large cats?
Top entry litter boxes are suitable for large cats.
Top entry boxes brands have come up with various sized boxes to accommodate cats of different sizes.
Settle for a top entry litter box for large cats to ensure your large cat is comfortable.
Carefully check the box dimensions before swiping your credit card to avoid disappointments.
Settle for an extra-large top entry litter box.
The top entry litter box covers may not be firm enough to hold extremely heavy cats.
Do top entry litter boxes topple over?
Top entry litter boxes do not topple over due to the rubber base that holds them firmly on any floor surface.
In addition, once you add cat litter into the box, its base becomes heavy enough to avoid toppling over.
Will a litter box with a hole on top keep dogs away from eating cat poop?
Most litter boxes with a hole on the top will keep the majority of dogs away from entering the box and eating cat poop.
Some extremely aggressive dogs however may still manage to wiggle their way in and take a snack.
Are top entry kitty litter boxes suitable for elderly or disabled cats?
No, top-entry kitty litter boxes are not suitable for elderly or disabled cats.
This is because it may be difficult to jump into and out of the litter box.
How easy is it to clean a top entry cat litter tray?
Cleaning a top entry cat litter tray is easy by removing the removable box top.
You then have easy direct access to the box to clean it thoroughly.
When it comes to choosing the best top entry litter box for your cat, there are a few things you will have to take into consideration.
Top Entry litter boxes are becoming more and more popular these days, but which one is best for you?
Most people think that these types of litter boxes are specifically made for larger cats, but that is not the case.
This guide will help you settle on the best options available.
If you’re looking for a top litter box, there are good options on the market.
But before making your choice, it’s important to consider some of the pros and cons as well as what type of cat might best suit this type of litter box.
After all, if your cat is not comfortable using the litter box, they’ll be more inclined to go elsewhere.
Please change to the top entry litter box! Not only is it better for your cat, but your home, family, and friends will thank you too.