Does your cat kick litter?
Do you have a dog that enjoys snacking on cat poop?
Getting home to find litter scattered all over the house, is a messy affair. It can frustrate you and tire you with endless sweeping.
The top entry litter box design eliminates these problems flawlessly. It keeps litter in, keep most dogs out, and reduces odors.
It keep the unsightly view of the litter mess hidden from you and your precious guests.
Table of Contents
- 1 How do top entry kitty litter boxes work?
- 2 Do cats like top entry cat litter trays?
- 3 Why won’t my cat use the top entrance litter box?
- 4 Are top entry litter boxes suitable for large cats?
- 5 Do top entry litter boxes topple over?
- 6 Are top entry kitty litter boxes suitable for elderly or disabled cats?
- 7 How easy is it to clean a top entry cat litter tray?
- 8 The Best Top Opening Litter Box
- 8.1 1. Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
- 8.2 Key Benefits:
- 8.3 Cons of Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan:
- 8.4 2. Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box
- 8.5 Benefits:
- 8.6 Cons of Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box:
- 8.7 3. Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- 8.8 Key Benefits:
- 8.9 Cons of Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box:
- 8.10 4. Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box
- 9 Conclusion:
How do top entry kitty litter boxes work?
Top entry kitty litter boxes work by enclosing the litter and prevent scattering.
Your cat accesses the litter box by entering from the top where there’s an entry into the box. The box is spacious enough to allow your cat to turn and dig as she eliminates.
Once she is done, she jumps from the box onto the litter cover that is a non-slip, textured lid.
It traps litter from your cat’s paws as soon as she jumps out of the box. This reduces the mess you have to deal with and keeps your floor clean.
The trapped litter then falls back into the top entry litter box. This avoids wastage.
A low dust cat litter is a great option.
Do cats like top entry cat litter trays?
Cats enjoy top entry cat litter boxes after they have overcome the initial suspicion. Once they get used to this design, it’s all play!
The added advantages of privacy when eliminating are a plus.
Why won’t my cat use the top entrance litter box?
There are a number of reasons that may influence your cat from not using the top entry litter box.
· Change in cat litter
· Difficulty in accessing the box due to mobility issues.
· Older cats may prefer a low entry box
The first step to diagnosing the problem, is by finding out what exactly is hindering your cat from using the top entry litter box flawlessly.
There are hacks to use when introducing a new litter box to your cat.
Place the new box next to the old box and allow your cat to familiarize herself.
Remove the top lid so that your cat gets used to the box.
Use the same type of litter.
Are top entry litter boxes suitable for large cats?
Top entry litter boxes are suitable for large cats.
Top entry boxes brands have come up with various sized boxes to accommodate cats of different sizes.
Carefully check the box dimensions before swiping your credit card to avoid disappointments.
Settle for an extra-large top entry litter box.
The box covers may not be firm enough to hold extremely heavy cats.
Do top entry litter boxes topple over?
Top entry litter boxes do not topple over due to the rubber base that holds it firmly on any floor surface.
In addition, once you add cat litter into the box, its base becomes heavy enough to avoid toppling over.
Will a litter box with a hole on top keep dogs away from eating cat poop?
Most litter boxes with a hole on the top will keep the majority of dogs away from entering the box and eating cat poop.
Some extremely aggressive dogs however may still manage to wiggle their way in and take a snack.
Are top entry kitty litter boxes suitable for elderly or disabled cats?
No, top entry kitty litter boxes are not suitable for elderly or disabled cats.
This is because it may be difficult to jump into and out of the litter box.
How easy is it to clean a top entry cat litter tray?
Cleaning a top entry cat litter tray is easy by removing the box top which is removable.
You then have easy direct access into the box to clean it thoroughly.
The Best Top Opening Litter Box
1. Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
This top entry litter box has a wide top opening that gives your cat easy access in and out of the box.
There is adequate space inside the box for your cat to turn around and dig as she wishes.
This top entry litter box design comes with high walls. They keep the litter intact no matter how hard your cat digs and paws through the litter.
The box cover is a non-slip, textured lid that traps litter from your cat’s paws as soon as she jumps out of the box. This trapped litter then falls back into the top entry litter box through the grates on the lid. These grates are large enough to allow most types of cat litter.
It comes equipped with rounded edges and a molded bottom handle that helps you to lift the box easily. This is important especially when the box is full of litter.
In addition, it comes with an in-built hook for hanging a litter scoop.
Made from 95% pre-consumer recyclable materials. It is an eco-friendly option when settling for a dog-proof cat litter box.
· The top entry design prevents the dogs from accessing the litter and digging in. A reliable dog proof cat litter box indeed!
· The box comes with high walls that ensures the litter remains intact. The litter doesn’t spill over the edges onto your floor.
· The box cover is a non-slip, textured lid that traps litter from your cat’s paws as soon as she jumps out of the box. This reduces the mess you have to deal with and keeps your floor clean.
· The wide top opening gives your cat easy access in and out of the box. She has adequate space inside the box to turn around and dig as she wishes.
o Box dimensions: 20.3 x 15.1 x 15.2 inches
o Box weight: 3.45 pounds
· The built-in handles enable you to easily move the litter box while cleaning. You are then able to throw away the old litter and replace it with a fresh supply.
· This box is compatible with litter liners to make cleaning an effortless task for you.
Cons of Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan:
· The top may not attach to the bottom securely. Your cat may keep knocking it off.
· If your cat darts from the box directly onto the floor, litter tracking will happen in your house. A litter mat, however, solves this problem.
2. Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box
This innovatively designed cat litter box provides your kitty with ample space to handle her business, while keeping the litter intact.
Your cat gets to enjoy privacy and freedom while eliminating. In addition, it reduces the amount of time you have to spend cleaning the litter box due to its ample space.
The box cover contains grooves that act as an in-built mat to brush your cat’s paws clean as she enter and leaves the box.
The cat litter boxes come with durable rubber feet to hold them firmly in place on any type of surface. This avoids skidding.
As an added benefit, it comes with a litter scoop which can be hung on a hook inside the box for easy access.
· This design is dog proof. ….Cat litter boxes that dogs can’t get into.
· The entrance at the top of the litter pan is large. This gives your cat sufficient space to move around and jump in and out easily.
o The entire box dimensions are: 20.8 x 16.1 x 14.6 inches
o Box weight: 4.85 pounds
· These litter boxes come with a litter scoop which saves you on extra expenses. You can hang the scoop on the inside of the box for quick access.
· The top lid contains grooves that brush the cat’s paws clean as they enter and exit the box. This avoids your cat from tracking litter in the house.
· The top entry design ensures that the litter remains intact and no litter scatter occurs.
· The rubber feet prevents skidding on slippery floors. They ensure your cat can enter and exit comfortably without knocking the box over.
· The inner surface is smooth with round corners making it easy to clean.
Cons of Iris Top Entry Cat litter Box:
· If your cat decides to jump out of the box directly onto the floor, the box cover won’t catch any litter from her paws. This will cause litter tracking.
· The box doesn’t have a handle hence moving it from one place to another may not be a smooth process.
· If your cat is overweight and huge, the top lid may not support her weight comfortably without caving in.
Is the top lid removable?
Yes, the top lid is removable for easy scooping. This makes it easy to clean too. Push the two big buttons on either side of the box to lift the lid off.
3. Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
The Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box has a covered design that helps keep the litter inside the box.
It provides your cat with privacy during elimination. It’s also ideal for cats that love to spray or dig aggressively.
The box cover is dual purpose as it traps any litter from your cat’s paws as she exits the litter box. It also keeps the poop out of sight.
When it’s time to scoop, simply lift up the lid for easy cleaning up. Discard any old litter and replace it with fresh cat litter.
· The top entry enclosed design is dog proof and keeps away non-feline intruders.
· The enclosed design ensures no litter scatter occur. Cats that enjoy digging and spraying urine can use this box comfortably without you worrying about litter scatter.
· The litter lid traps litter as your cat leaves the litter box. This prevents litter tracking in the house.
· Comes with built-in handles for easy handling during movement especially during cleaning.
· It is designed from BPA-free, durable and recyclable plastic. They are easy to clean with soap and water.
· It’s spacious with enough room for most cats to dig and turn while relieving herself.
Cons of Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box:
· The lid latch may be weak.
· Most ideal for medium and smaller sized cats.
· Larger cats may knock this litter box over.
• How much weight can the lid support?
The lid can support a maximum of 33 pounds.
4. Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box
The Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box has a unique design that prevents litter wastage, reduces odor and eliminates tracking.
It is ideal for a multi-pet home since it keeps most dogs out preventing them from snacking on the cat poop.
· If your cats love to dig and kick litter, this box will keep the litter in and prevent litter wastage.
· It acts as a dog proof litter box enclosure. Your pet dog won’t snack on the cat poop which can cause your dog to fall ill.
· The top entry design provides partial cover that minimizes the box odor. It keeps your home smelling fresh.
· Easily adaptable to kittens and they quickly learn how to use this top entry designed box.
Cons of Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box:
·This box is not recommended for cats that are disabled, elderly or those with a mobility problem.
· May not be ideal for very large cats.
· Some cats jump from the box directly onto the floor. They avoid the box cover that is designed to trap litter from your cat’s paws. This can cause tracking.
90% of the pet owners who bought Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan recommend it and are satisfied by the product.